• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rahel
    started a topic "Is Your worship reaching God?"

"Is Your worship reaching God?"

"How would you know?

Seriously. . . . . what would be the signs? Please respond in the comment field.

*This is not a right-wrong answer kind of question, but one that is searching for some pondering and reflection. Take a stab at it."

I copied this question of JD Walt's blog FARMstrong.
    http://www.farmstrong.blogspot.com/
    I found this question very interesting and thought we maybe can talk about it here too.

• worshiptheKing
    replied
    This question so applies to how I am feeling right now.

I know that worship is much more than the time we spend singing at church, but when I refer to worship in this post that is what I am talking about.

There are most certainly times I can look back to and say "WOW, God really showed up during the worship time that morning." I think that during these times the Holy Spirit can be seen moving among the people, evidenced by emotion, personal response, shouts of praise, etc. I also think that the hearts of those in attendance can either open up and let the Holy Spirit move or they can cross their arms and squash it. I may digress but I don't think the Holy Spirit knocks down doors, He walks thru doors that have been opened. "Behold I stand at the door and knock..."

The last several weeks have been frustrating at church. Now, we're no big time CCM group, but we are doing a good job with the music. And people tell us so frequently, which we appreciate. But, if I had to say whether or not God was at our services over the past few weeks based on the "visible" evidence, I would say He was at some other church.

Please pray for me that, as the worship leader, I might be a facilitator of authentic, God centered, Jesus seeking, Spirit filled music that results in un-crossing the arms of our congregation's heart.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I love pondering....

One thing I thought yesterday or today was that worship expresses our relationship with and like in our relationships when we communicate in any way, we say something and something will come back. A relationship does not go only into one direction. So, I think something in worship will come back from God when we talk to him, when we touch him in worship. And that what comes back will be the "sign". As You, Fred, said this can look very different.

And then I remembered something that I read last week in the book I am reading right now about the revival in Wales a hundret years ago. There the author speaks about worship in the spirit, and I think this can be part of the answer of true or wrong worship. I will translate it from german into my english :

"We need to ask God for how we can excersise real praise and worship o our services, because something has to happen to deliver the church out of its fixed paths. If worship does not make our heart able to touch the heart of God, then it is not worship - it is just noise. When we touch the heart of God our heart will be changed. Every worship time should be a time of meeting the presence of God. When we see the glory of the Lord we will be transformed of it. True worship does not happen by trying to see the Lord, it happens when we see him."

I think transformation is such a sign that our worship reaches God.

Leave a comment:

• fmckinnon
    replied
    Rahel,
    Great question, thanks for bringing it over to us.

I'm not sure there is always a "sign" that our worship reaches God. The very act of worship is an act of faith, after all, we're expressing worship to someOne that we cannot even see, and that we believe even EXISTS only by faith, right?

So, it's by faith that I believe my worship reaches God.

Still, I've seen physical evidence of it. I've sensed His Presence, His response. I've discerned and felt that "spirit and truth" connection.

In addition to the "two or three being gathered" verse, we must also take into account John 4: 23-24 ... are we in false worship, or true worship?

He says that "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him *MUST* worship Him in spirit and truth".

That tells me we could be worshiping the wrong way.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was thinking more about the signs that show that it indeed happened.
    To believe that God is there where we are gathered in his name and to speak about the heart attitude are things that are invisible...what are the outward things that we can see?

I was thinking on Amos 5, 21-24:
    21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them : neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. 23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.

I think a sign is our constantly progression in chasing after righteousness in our lives and then also in the world around us. It is not a question that we could not fall, but we can stand up and go further.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by yod1948 View Post
    For worship??? Yes! "In my name" is a hebraic idiom that simply means in His character.

Then a sign for that we reached God is that we get transformed into his character....

Leave a comment:

• yod1948
    replied
    IS "in my name" a condition?
    For worship??? Yes! "In my name" is a hebraic idiom that simply means in His character.

Is it merely enough to be a believer? Or is there a posture of the heart that actually differentiates coming together IN His name from coming together not in His name?
    I know of a conference of "churches" held in Bethlehem a week ago whose purpose was completely political. I have doubts about the salvation of many of them. They were promoting a violent agenda.

Was Yeshua in the midst of that? I'm sure we could all think of examples similar to that. If we gather for an agenda that is "against" His will, He has no reason to support that.

God is here, not there. He is close, not far. So our worship (if it is indeed spirit and truth whole life worship) does "reach" God, but it doesn't have to travel over miles and miles of spiritual fiberoptic cables to get there.

I believe there are NO finite limitations on time and distance in the spirit realm so our spirtual offerings of worship bless God's heart immediately.

Amen brother!

Immanuel....God is with us when we are "with" Him. It doesn't have to be complicated

Leave a comment:

• Smitty
    replied
    NICE post, Russ! True Word!

Smitty

Leave a comment:

• russhutto
    replied
    The only response that I can think of for Yod's question is:

What does this fully mean: For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. (Matt. 18:20)

IS "in my name" a condition? Is it something that we can miss? Can we be gathered together, but not IN His name? Is it merely enough to be a believer? Or is there a posture of the heart that actually differentiates coming together IN His name from coming together not in His name?

Personally, I do think it's a heart issue. I'm not saying that we actually have to "do" anything, or go through a formulaic set of steps, to be "in His name" but I tend to read things pretty literally most of the time, and when it says "for when" to me that is a conditional statement that can also be read "IF two or three come together in my name..."

Now I could be TOTALLY wrong, and I'm willing to acknowledge it if I am. But that's just how I see it at this point. And, for me, if that's the case, then it means that you could also read the opposite as true.

"If two or three come together out of my name, then I am not there with them."

Exodus 20:7 comes to mind: "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." (yeah, I had to go old school KJV...it just seems right to quote a commandment in KJV-speak, haha).

Is that a crazy notion?

Back to the original question. I would tend to lean to where Yod is if indeed we are gathering IN His name.

Because of the PARACLETE (the Holy Spirit, God's spiritual "lifeline" for us to Him) we are connected to God's presence at all times. I don't see God an infinite number of miles away sitting on some cloud throne, unavailable to take our calls because He's busy watching Dr. Phil. I don't see God sitting on the peak of Mt. Everest in the lotus position like some unattainable guru that can only be visited by the grittiest seekers. I don't see God behind a series of secret agent combination locks, massive steel doors, and identity scanners only available to an elite few.

God is WITH us. Sure God the Father, is our HEAVENLY Father, but God the Son, Jesus, wrapped Himself in the fragile robes of our humanity strapping on the sandals of human existence and walked more than a mile. And when He had fulfilled his mission to BE one of us. He gifted us with His Holy Spirit. The connection to the spiritual. The lifeline to the Father. The ever-on supernatural powersource.

If we are IN Jesus, we are IN the Father.

I say all that to say, our "worship" doesn't really have a long way to go to "reach" God. God is here, not there. He is close, not far. So our worship (if it is indeed spirit and truth whole life worship) does "reach" God, but it doesn't have to travel over miles and miles of spiritual fiberoptic cables to get there.

I believe there are NO finite limitations on time and distance in the spirit realm so our spirtual offerings of worship bless God's heart immediately.

Leave a comment:

• yod1948
    replied
    Originally posted by Rahel View Post
    "How would you know?

Seriously. . . . . what would be the signs? Please respond in the comment field.

*This is not a right-wrong answer kind of question, but one that is searching for some pondering and reflection. Take a stab at it."

I copied this question of JD Walt's blog FARMstrong.
    http://www.farmstrong.blogspot.com/
    I found this question very interesting and thought we maybe can talk about it here too.

where 2 or more are gathered, He is in the midst of them.

It's it is not reaching Him...why would He be there?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X