Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorny worship leading situation

Hello all...

A friend and I have been asked to lead worship for a one-time event, sponsored by a ministry that has limited funds. This same ministry used to have songbooks, but over the years, enough people have taken such songbooks home that they don't have enough to pass around. These songbooks are also over twenty years old, so much of today's praise standards will not be listed (its most recent popular song would be Shine Jesus Shine).

Both me and my friend are up to date when it comes to where worship songs are today. But I would also venture that this larger ministry is actually an umbrella organization representing smaller prayer groups in the area, with many of these groups not having any music, some of these groups having old songbooks, and some of these groups being up to date with what's out there. To be frank, as much as I like today's music, I'm there to serve who's in attendance; if they're blessed by the Holy Spirit with older songs that they're familiar with, I'm okay too. Not sure about how my David-Crowder-fan friend feels, though.

But because of the circumstances with no songbooks, we need to build our own repertoire, which means CCLI. Except I dropped my CCLI license, due to the circumstances that I shared elsewhere (and if I did have it, chances are it would've been for a much smaller person-count than what is required). My friend said "worship songs are or should be free!" and has never once considered CCLI licensing.

I actually am okay with the restrictions. I know a vast number of p.d. songs I can use under these circumstances that are a perfect fit for worship, for the audience that will be there, that are in my capability. From my list of over 1,000 such songs, I sent my friend a list of 100 that are all potentials, that could be slimmed down to about 30, from which we can then organize them in a manner that lets the Holy Spirit do the leading.

My friend did not recognize any of the songs. He's angry that he has to learn songs (even real simple ones) that he, in his decades of experience, has never had to learn, nor think others know as well.

On top of this, this event is in five weeks (plenty of time) but due to odd circumstances, we are simply not going to have time to practice. I'm serious.

As I see it, these are the options:

1. I drop out, my friend leads the prayer meeting, with songs he's comfortable with, but outside of CCLI's license (stealing).
    2. I stay in, craft a worship repertoire as best as I can, online, whether he stays in or not.
    3. We use the paltry number of songbooks, people will have to triple share.
    4. Whatever suggestions you folks offer.

Any ideas?
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

I'm thinking it stands to reason that the place hosting this event does not have CCLI either? From my understanding, that responsibility/liability rests with the venue (granted most of my experience is on the ASCAP side).

Is projecting the songs from the songbook onto the wall or a portable projector screen an option?

It's a foolish risk and a bad example to use licensed songs without a license. Your friend can bemoan how 'worship songs should be free' but they aren't. If he insists on doing that, I would back out.

If the songs in the songbooks are part of their 'ecosystem', it would make sense to use some of them. But it would also be good to use songs they may not know (PD songs that you got in your bag o' tricks) to give them something different- make it feel more like a special event.

Don't you just love ambiguity?
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike on Bass View Post
      It's a foolish risk and a bad example to use licensed songs without a license. Your friend can bemoan how 'worship songs should be free' but they aren't. If he insists on doing that, I would back out.
      Agreed. I also agree that it should ultimately be up to the venue to make sure the appropriate licensing is in place. For what it's worth, CCLI does offer individual event licenses that are fairly economical, as well. I have used that service for conferences, etc. in the past.
      Eric Frisch
      www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

@MikeOnBass: To project from songbook to wall is the same thing as using Powerpoint: taking the text and moving it to a different context. You don't save money by doing that (and if one could, the hassle simply ain't worth it).

I would personally _love_ to do a "special event" (bag 'o tricks) worship. I don't even have a problem of doing a copyrighted song favorite... one that has been memorized by the vast majority there... but not projecting those lyrics, keeping that within the copyright guidelines. But even so... knowing my schedule in the next five weeks, my getting together with my friend to practice may seem to be an impossibility.

I'm thinking that @EricF's suggestion of getting a special event license would be the best option, and then letting my friend pick the songs. It's not "cheap", but it's do-able. It's certainly cheaper than hunting down more copies of this out-of-print tattered songbook on eBay. And my friend can pick the songs.

I am thinking of crafting a series of videos as to how to add PD worship to one's repertoire, and ultimately even depend upon it fully. There's something so freeing about being countercultural in this manner.... but I can understand why many here would be trepidatious on taking that step. If one finds the expense of maintaining the license a struggle, or are dissatisfied on other fronts, this may be a good area to experiment in...
        Nick Alexander
        Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.

Comment

Friends don't let friends...

Nick - how good a friend is your friend? I ask for several reasons. If you have worked together before, then it may be ok to not practice, although as soon as possible, it would be beneficial to at least do a run though, make a CD/mp3/mp4 of you playing the songs, etc so you aren't truly wingin it. And as far as the attitude of what should be free, ask him if he should do the event for free as well. And every event he is asked to participate in. No reimbursments, because man, you should do it for free!

Don't offer up to God anything that isn't legal. You can moan about cost all you want, but even Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's. You need to keep your integrity and witness intact.

If you are asked again to do a worship event together, don't accept unless you can truly devote the practice time to give God your best effort, and not rely solely on His blessing to get you through.He works thrugh our weakeness' to be sure, and the people you would be leading deseve your best as well.

Comment

Thanks for the prayers and suggestions, folks.

We have a compromise. The group we're praying for will be bringing the songbooks, as few as they are. He knows many of those songs, I know the book fully. They're dated, but this crowd will not mind. I won't be using the overhead projector, but this crowd will not mind. Best circumstances for our lack of any oppty for practice times. And copyrights are protected.

In the meantime he's getting a welcome education on copyright law. And I'm not going too radically in a different direction in terms of songs the people may have a fleeting memory of. All is good.
            Nick Alexander

Comment

Cool- glad you were able to come up with a solution. Sometimes you just have to work within your confines and make the best outcome you can. Sounds like you got it figured out
              If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Working...
              X