Best resource for sheet music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best resource for sheet music?

Recently, the worship group that I lead has undergone some line-up changes that will go into effect in 2015. It's a very good thing overall, but I now have some unfamiliar territory to navigate through: the world of sheet music. For years, we've always had musicians that played by ear, so we have never really used anything other than lyric sheets to go off of.

Fast forward to present, the Lord has blessed us with a young lady who has a desire to use her talents with the violin in our group. I feel very strongly that she is going to a great addition to our team, and we are all excited to work with her. However, she requires sheet music to be able to play. I have spent the last several days searching high and low for accurate, transposable, cost-effective online resources from which to print what I need, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

So here's my question. Is there a website out there that has quality sheet music that I can transpose if needed, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm thinking it would be awesome if there was a subscription-based service that would let me print whatever I need for a flat rate.
    Last edited by Locke; 11-30-2014, 07:39 PM.

We get most of our stuff from Praisecharts.com - tons of different resources and reasonably priced. String parts are going to be harder to come by from just about anywhere.
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

I , too have been blessed with a violin player . God is so good ! I began a year or so ago writing somewhat simple parts through GARAGE BAND . I record a guitar or piano track then sit down for anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour and jam along with a counter melody or harmony part on a midi keyboard with this new track ( the violin track ) that I am " composing " to go along with the piano or guitar that I've already recorded . I stay in the major scale of the key I am using or simply the pentatonic notes that correspond ( blues scale ) . Then I record that track and GARAGE BAND prints it out for me ! I then take the bass clefs and cut them off and tape the treble clefs together to cut the whole thing down from 8 pages to 4 . I then record the finished product on a CD and hand it to my girl . These are parts that God has given me and they sound like what I would play if I could play violin . I love hearing our violinist play them and she even likes them ! I have 30 to 40 , most in baritone keys , most 2000 to 2014 CCLI top 100 songs . Send me your e mail , you are welcome to them . Blessings , Doc

Comment

Hey there, I can relate, I'm a violinist too--classically trained, recently left the symphony world (where we only read music!) to serve as music director at a church that is worship band based. As mentioned, praise charts is a good source, though the $ for the orchestrations does add up pretty quickly. I do wish they would break it out and offer string parts separately!
        For me, it was incredibly worth the effort to start learning how to play without reading music. If you don't personally have the time to write out parts for her every week, you might encourage her to start doing it herself. If she's got a reasonably good ear, she will get good at it pretty quickly, and the ability to play without music will come once she starts forcing herself to function. She can begin by simply playing whole and half note progressions working off the chord chart and using the tonic, 3rd, or 5th. That will help her ear start to develop. Then work on adding a harmony line to complement the vocal when there are fewer singers, etc. From there she can start working out fills, then on to simple 4 and 8 bar solos for intros. Fortunately lots of bands these days are using fiddlers and mandolins; that's a great place to learn by writing down and copying what they do till she gets the hang of the style parameters.
        It's challenging, but incredibly rewarding to learn how to fit into a band playing what the Holy Spirit sends you. I'm happy to help her if I could be of service. alexw@christ4u.net Blessings!

Comment

Fiddlexela is right . There's no substitute for learning to play by ear ; especially for a Praise team . Your violinist probably does not know chord theory ; many classically trained folks don't . Show her the root , 3rd , and 5th for some of the major keys you use , as Fiddlexela has suggested .Then have her learn her major scales without looking at the notes . There's a good chance she already can do that . When she can do her scales , have her drop the 4th note and the 7th note . She will be left with a pentatonic ( 5 note ) scale that is priceless . She can play almost any note at almost anytime and " jam " with many Paul Baloche , Hillsong , and Chris Tomlin songs . The scale played correctly should sound like the hook for MY GIRL . Don't forget to pray with her and for her , too ! Blessings , Doc

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your help! I have been a member of TWC for a few years now, but I forgot how good of a resource it can be. You guys are the best.

Comment

I use praise charts.com or lifewayworship.com.

Originally posted by Locke View Post
              Recently, the worship group that I lead has undergone some line-up changes that will go into effect in 2015. It's a very good thing overall, but I now have some unfamiliar territory to navigate through: the world of sheet music. For years, we've always had musicians that played by ear, so we have never really used anything other than lyric sheets to go off of.

Fast forward to present, the Lord has blessed us with a young lady who has a desire to use her talents with the violin in our group. I feel very strongly that she is going to a great addition to our team, and we are all excited to work with her. However, she requires sheet music to be able to play. I have spent the last several days searching high and low for accurate, transposable, cost-effective online resources from which to print what I need, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

So here's my question. Is there a website out there that has quality sheet music that I can transpose if needed, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm thinking it would be awesome if there was a subscription-based service that would let me print whatever I need for a flat rate.

Comment

Working...
              X