!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you listen to an entire album like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you listen to an entire album like this?

I am working on an album where I take Hymns and I record them using electronic/techno beats and synths.

I have released my first single "Be Thou My Vision" give it a listen and let me know what you think: http://ambienceinmotion.bandcamp.com/

Thanks!

Very interesting! I'd be interested in hearing the album for sure. Cool idea.
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

I'll be honest, no, but I HATE electronic music so my opinion doesn't really count. I couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of the song. I do want to say, I think your title is genius! Very slick.

BUT, my brother LOVES electronic music and he said he loved it and thought it was awesome. So there ya go, he would probably buy your album if you had a full one.

I think the genre has a place for a lot of people and it seems that electronic music is more wide open for new ideas and bringing back hymns and still be true to the word.
      Lov'n Jesus

Comment

Thanks man! Thats what I'm trying for. I love some of the old hymns, however the only arrangments you here are with choirs and are very dated. I'm hoping to reinvigorate them and make them applicable to today's generation.

Comment

That is cool, shoulda' done this earlier! We couldn't get my brother to listen to Christian music because he didn't like any form of it and just wanted to listen to electronic. I'm the exact opposite BTW. I bet there are a lot of people like him willing to listen to this form, and I think the style bodes well for hymns based on the way hymns and electronic are written style wise. Very rhythmic, melodious, repetitious... could be a great thing for a specific section of the new generations culture.
          Lov'n Jesus

Comment

If I were to change anything, I would clean up the way you sing :35-:40, kinda choppy and awkward. But maybe that fits the style and I don't know what I am talking about. But the section of the verse from 1;30-1:35 seemed fine in comparison.
            Lov'n Jesus

Comment

This is cool. I would play more with the way you do it to do things like adding elements as the song progresses, double beats, etc to be more like what DJ's play when they do dance electronica. I think since you are starting with a slow melodic song there is plenty of room to change it up throughout the song. The sound is cool, though!

You might also put out stems or multitracks to enable others to play with what you are doing. This could lead to a lot of cool creativity I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by fmckinnon View Post
                Very interesting! I'd be interested in hearing the album for sure. Cool idea.
                It's going to be released agust 21st I'll post an update when it's available or when I release my second single

Comment

Originally posted by steensn View Post
                  That is cool, shoulda' done this earlier! We couldn't get my brother to listen to Christian music because he didn't like any form of it and just wanted to listen to electronic. I'm the exact opposite BTW. I bet there are a lot of people like him willing to listen to this form, and I think the style bodes well for hymns based on the way hymns and electronic are written style wise. Very rhythmic, melodious, repetitious... could be a great thing for a specific section of the new generations culture.
                  Send him the link it's a free download and I'll be finishing the album by August 21st, procrastination and God willing

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSnyder View Post
                    This is cool. I would play more with the way you do it to do things like adding elements as the song progresses, double beats, etc to be more like what DJ's play when they do dance electronica. I think since you are starting with a slow melodic song there is plenty of room to change it up throughout the song. The sound is cool, though!

You might also put out stems or multitracks to enable others to play with what you are doing. This could lead to a lot of cool creativity I would think.
                    Putting out the tracks is a great idea! I'm going to add some more stuff in the later parts of the song and have my wife song a verse for the album version, but I don't want to add too much because I want this one to be a more chill song on the album, some of the songs are going to be wilder than others, I want to try to do a super skrillexy dubstep version of one of the songs, well that is if my computer can handle all the software instruments at once, haha

Comment

I like new arrangements of old hymns and I like electronic music. I gave your track a listen and thought it was pretty good. However, I don't particularly like listening to autotuned vocals throughout an entire song; do you plan on using this effect for the rest of your songs? And like others have said, the song also needs some progression and buildup. But so far it sounds great!

I'm also really looking forward to your Dubstep/Brostep song Would be a really disruptive message to folks who think worship is limited to a certain genre.

Comment

Yeah I do plan on using the auto tune, although it technically isn't auto tune. I use melodyne and drag the pitches around and flatten out the modulation which gives the processed synthetic sound. I want the vocals to have that because it fits with the theme of the album.

Also let it be known, I'm not using "Auto Tune" because I can't sing, while my voice is my weakest aspect I use Melodyne as an effect, much like a distortion pedal for guitars.

And yeah, I think that any style of music can be worship, and I love doing things that are out of box.

Comment

Hey guys, I have a new song out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkOChP5VrqQ

Comment

Yeah man, I just can't do it. But my brother liked this one too.
                            Lov'n Jesus

Comment

I would listen to most of it. I too have been experiementing with Electronica-dance. I rewrote one of my songs and remixed it with trance-style beats. Just to break things up, I am bored out of my mind with the usual style of CCM somgs in the church today: the usual guitar/keys/bass/drum sounds. Ive been looking for something "different" for about 18 months. I even started using drum loops from my laptop a few months before I resigned from music minister at the church I used to serve at.

Comment

Working...
                              X