"Heart of Worship" Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Heart of Worship" Song

I'm looking for a song that has a similar theme/message as Matt Redman's classic "Heart of Worship". Any suggestions?

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

What part?

Jesus Lover of My Soul by Paul Oakley builds upon "It's all about You Jesus".
    Clear the Stage by Ross King emphasizes "worship is more than a song."

There are others. Does this help?
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

Thanks, Nick!

Nate
      Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

It is more upbeat, but there is a similar God centered, pouring ourselves out message in 'All Glory' from our EP, especially in the chorus. In the verse, there is also a refrain taken from 1st Chronicles that talks about how the 'trees and fields and mighty seas' resound and give Him praise, that all works together to help us understand our place, so to speak!

Its here or you can get everything from PraiseCharts as well.

http://www.worshipsong.com/songs/son...s/25-all-glory

Comment

Best I know would be "All for you" Brenton Brown-very similar in words and tempo
          AN uptempo song that focuses on worship and God is Carl Cartee "Worshipper of You"
          If you want something different that focuses on majesty and qualities of God, you could look at Great I am by Jared Anderson or Bless the Lord by Carl Cartee

Hope that helps

Comment

The thing about that song that many people don't realize is it was born out of a time when Matt's team became all about the band, the guitars, drums, the 'song'. and got away from the main goal of worship. The pastor saw this and put their team on hiatus for a year or so, and the church went back to very basic worship. In that time, Matt realized his error and repented, writing that song in the process.

Looking at the lyrics, it's mostly about repentance and refocusing a ministry to bring glory to Jesus instead of ourselves.

"When the music fades and all is stripped away"- really meant the music/praise team was idled and the worship was stripped down.
            "I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself is not what you have required"- Matt realized he was bringing songs, not worship.
            "I'm coming back to the heart of worship, where it's all about you... I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it" Matt realized what he was doing was about him and his band, not Jesus. He had to 'come back' to the main purpose of Jesus.
            "Though I'm weak and poor, all I have is Yours, every single breath"- Matt was humbled a bit when the team was put on hiatus.

This song is at the top of my all-time favorites because it came out at a time when I was on a team that was all about the production and performance- people had to stand a certain way, move a certain way, etc. It was so disheartening and phony I wound up leaving the team over it.

My point in going through all that is because the main theme of the song is more of a repentance and refocus- there aren't many songs that go over that as well as this one does. This song and the story behind it is really remarkable- not too often do you hear of a popular and successful praise band leader being rebuked and humbled, let alone the leader being open enough to write a song about it. It is a powerful reminder that us a praise team leaders/contributors are very susceptible to bringing 'songs' instead of worship. I am also impressed that the pastor was a strong enough leader to take such a bold step as put a very popular ministry on hold because he could see it was glorifying them but not God. Not too many pastors would have done that. Many would think it would be certain suicide- half the church would leave over it, etc.

There are just so many great lessons and wisdom that surrounds this song. Most people I talk to don't realize the whole back story to it and miss the point.

Anyway, great song. I don't know of any right off the top of my head that have that kind of repentance and refocus message to it.

Mike
            If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

repentence and refocus

Previous poster is right about the original intent of the song, and it is a lesson we often forget ourselves.

if this is your goal there are two songs that might work, and there was previous thread a few weeks ago on repentance on the site. There is a quiet song called "right with you" from Menlo Worship, quiet and contemplative. There is another called "Restore to me" that focuses on repentance. I also included lyrics to All for you by Brenton Brown below

Right with You
              By menlo | worship

Right with You
              by Debbie Shaeffer

May my heart be right with You

As I confess, my selfishness

As I confess, my faithlessness

Search my heart and see

Any wicked way in me

Restore To Me Lyrics by Glory Revealed (Mac Powell)

(lyrics are written by Psalm 51:9-12)
              Hide Your face from my sins
              And cover my iniquities
              Create in me a clean heart
              And renew a right spirit within me

Don't cast me away from Your presence
              Don't take Your spirit from me

Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
              Restore to me the wonders of Your love
              Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
              Restore to me, restore to me

Deliver me from this hour of darkness
              Through the pain and brokenness
              And I will sing of Your loving kindness
              and of Your righteousness

All for you
              Brenton Brown
              Thankyou Music 2010

Jesus all these songs we sing, every word and melody
              All of it is meant for your alone
              Silent prayers and bended knees, every kind of offering
              All of it's intended for your throne

Jesus this is all for you, Father this is all for you
              How your children long to bless your heart
              Lord we've tasted and we've seen, beheld the splendor of the King
              How we long to magnify our GOD.

Every lifted voice and hand, every woman, every man
              All of us have known Your generous ways
              Spirit you have carried us, we have seen Your faithfulness
              And our hearts are bursting with Your praise

All for you, all for you, all to bless Your heart
              All for you, all for you, all for you oh GOD

Comment

Originally posted by Mike on Bass View Post
                The thing about that song that many people don't realize is it was born out of a time when Matt's team became all about the band, the guitars, drums, the 'song'. and got away from the main goal of worship. The pastor saw this and put their team on hiatus for a year or so, and the church went back to very basic worship. In that time, Matt realized his error and repented, writing that song in the process.

Looking at the lyrics, it's mostly about repentance and refocusing a ministry to bring glory to Jesus instead of ourselves.

"When the music fades and all is stripped away"- really meant the music/praise team was idled and the worship was stripped down.
                "I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself is not what you have required"- Matt realized he was bringing songs, not worship.
                "I'm coming back to the heart of worship, where it's all about you... I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it" Matt realized what he was doing was about him and his band, not Jesus. He had to 'come back' to the main purpose of Jesus.
                "Though I'm weak and poor, all I have is Yours, every single breath"- Matt was humbled a bit when the team was put on hiatus.

This song is at the top of my all-time favorites because it came out at a time when I was on a team that was all about the production and performance- people had to stand a certain way, move a certain way, etc. It was so disheartening and phony I wound up leaving the team over it.

My point in going through all that is because the main theme of the song is more of a repentance and refocus- there aren't many songs that go over that as well as this one does. This song and the story behind it is really remarkable- not too often do you hear of a popular and successful praise band leader being rebuked and humbled, let alone the leader being open enough to write a song about it. It is a powerful reminder that us a praise team leaders/contributors are very susceptible to bringing 'songs' instead of worship. I am also impressed that the pastor was a strong enough leader to take such a bold step as put a very popular ministry on hold because he could see it was glorifying them but not God. Not too many pastors would have done that. Many would think it would be certain suicide- half the church would leave over it, etc.

There are just so many great lessons and wisdom that surrounds this song. Most people I talk to don't realize the whole back story to it and miss the point.

Anyway, great song. I don't know of any right off the top of my head that have that kind of repentance and refocus message to it.

Mike
                This is exactly why I'm looking for a similar song. I've given our band the entire month of November off, and I'm looking for a good song that deals with this same idea that I can use during this month. The Ross King song mentioned above looks like it would work very well, although it's not a good song for congregational worship.

Nate
                Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

You know, maybe it's okay to not have a congregational friendly song when singing about stripping away artifices. People get into routines and to be jarred from the usual motions would bring the point home.

I'm not familiar w your church's style, but if such can be worked thru, I'd go for it...
                  Nick Alexander
                  Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by NickAlexander View Post
                    You know, maybe it's okay to not have a congregational friendly song when singing about stripping away artifices. People get into routines and to be jarred from the usual motions would bring the point home.

I'm not familiar w your church's style, but if such can be worked thru, I'd go for it...
                    I agree, I was making an observation about the song. Thanks!

Nate
                    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Quick note: I just ran a query on Songselect. You may be also interested in a new song from Jason Gray: Fade With Our Voices. That also seems to touch a little on this.

And, in a tangential note, I'd probably put "Better Than a Hallelujah" (Sarah Hart, covered by Amy Grant) up there too.
                      Nick Alexander

Comment

Jon Klinepeter's "Return" would work.

I don't have the lyrics with me and couldn't find them online for some reason, even though our worship team has done it before so it has to be available somewhere, right?

We haven't done it for a few years so I don't recall all the lyrics right now.

It starts out with something at least close to, "It may appear Lord that I live for You. It may look my heart's righteous and true. But You've seen me clearly..."

Comment

I have always loved this song, so let me first say thank you for sharing the entire story. I may have been under a rock, but I didn't know the whole story. I think I love it even more now.

Okay this is an older song, that I'm certain is no longer in your repetoire/weekly set list, however, the themes about displaced focus are similar enough that it may apply - "The Basics of Life" by Avalon. Perhaps utilizing a different arrangement, or just using the chorus.

Interestingly enough, our preacher did an excellent sermon about a year ago based upon the lyrics of "the Heart of Worship" and "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen woven together. He used appropriate scripture reference, read the lyrics, sang pieces of each acoustic, and gave an excellent sermon on worship. Of course he eventally played both in their entirety. I found both songs in this particular context to be extremely thought provoking and great worship-leading tools. It was a different Sunday, and I think the message really stood out.

Comment

one other song

Here's one other that may work for some of what youa re looking nfor- she has a version or this that also leads into Here I am to worship

Jaime Jamgochian Lyrics
                            " Hear My Worship "
                            Here, as I worship You
                            I long to be more honest
                            Long to be more free

I, long to be more real
                            Long to be transparent
                            As you see my true intentions

Beyond this bended Knee
                            Beyond the words I speak
                            Beyond the songs I sing
                            Hear My Worship
                            All that my heart can bring
                            This is my offering
                            Jesus my Holy King
                            Hear my worship
                            Hear my worship

I long to have more faith
                            I long to be more faithful
                            Here before Your throne

I wait to see Your face
                            Awaiting in your presence
                            Waiting just for you to hear me

Comment

Thanks all! All of these suggestions are really good!

Nate
                              Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Working...
                              X