Song suggestions for sermon based on John 15:1-11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song suggestions for sermon based on John 15:1-11

We are trying to find some contemporary songs to go with a sermon planned around John 15:1-11 (I am the vine, you are the branches). Anyone have any suggestions? I haven't found much yet.

Blessings...
    Dave

• doncobb
    replied
    Originally posted by Hillsman View Post
    Dave,
    Our fellowship just went through Jn15:1-11 today and I'll include our set list at the end, but first I'd like to say that one thing I have seen God consitantly do is place a song or several on my heart as I am putting together the set list. I never know what the pastor is going to speak on but God does and more times than not He speaks to me about a song that fits perfectly. We have seen this happen again and again.

It sounds cliche but pray about what He would like, pick a group out and listen to that small voice that says which ones. As you know it's all about Him.

Our set was:
    Your name
    The stand
    Come Thou Fount
    How He loves

Glenn
    Glenn - I've always put sets together like you described. For 20 years, that's what I've done but today, when my (now retired) new Pastor sent me 6 months of his upcoming sermons, I search for praise songs which go with a given scripture and even visiting Pastors tell me how much they appreciate how praise and worship tied in with the sermon. I always appreciated allowing the Holy Spirit to guide me and I was always amazed at how well songs tied in, but I love being purposed about it now, as well.

Leave a comment:

• fccworship
    replied
    We just did this and here is some of what i used for that Sunday

P1: Live To Worship
    P2: Hossanna
    P3: Blessed be Your Name

Offering: Day After Day

Invitation: I Give You My Heart
    Communion: Mercy

Leave a comment:

• danielled
    replied
    Jeremy Riddle's Full Attention is great for that theme.
    (side note: we've also done this song much more upbeat and "pop-y" when needed).

Also, Justin Rizzo's Found Faithful, along with Tree are great for a response time.

Leave a comment:

• MarkSnyder
    replied
    Thanks. Keep the songwriting group on this board in mind if you need something on a topic and have a little lead time. They would rise to the challenge to make something you could use and would welcome the challenge and the opportunity to serve!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• sycamoredave
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkSnyder View Post
    Hey Dave,

I just now finished writing this. Its a rough demo. It draws a lot from the passage you mentioned, but frames it in a larger metaphor of growth and renewal. If you want a lead sheet, chords, or even a melody line for it, let me know and I will get it to you today. If you want to tweak it feel free. Lyrics are on SoundCloud

You Have Grown the Rose by MarkSnyder on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I wrote this because, in my travels, I had occasion to visit Bordeaux, France, and see the roses at the head of each row of vines. They are there as an early warning for diseases such as mildew that can attack the vines. In other words, the roses are there to die first, so the vines can be treated before they also die. This I thought was actually a powerful illustration of Jesus.

Mark
    Very cool song! I love the imagery!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• MarkSnyder
    replied
    Here's one

Hey Dave,

I just now finished writing this. Its a rough demo. It draws a lot from the passage you mentioned, but frames it in a larger metaphor of growth and renewal. If you want a lead sheet, chords, or even a melody line for it, let me know and I will get it to you today. If you want to tweak it feel free. Lyrics are on SoundCloud

You Have Grown the Rose by MarkSnyder on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I wrote this because, in my travels, I had occasion to visit Bordeaux, France, and see the roses at the head of each row of vines. They are there as an early warning for diseases such as mildew that can attack the vines. In other words, the roses are there to die first, so the vines can be treated before they also die. This I thought was actually a powerful illustration of Jesus.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkSnyder; 02-15-2011, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sycamoredave
    replied
    Thanks

Glenn, Moosic and Nick:

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I looked at The Vine on CCLI, and printed it out but don't recall having heard it. I'll see if there are any performances out on Youtube. The others I am less familiar with, and will follow up. Your help is a great blessing!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• NickAlexander
    replied
    If you're looking for something recent, you may have to go with someone who has not yet published with a major recording house. I'd just go with a lyric search of "Vine", and sort descendingly on CCLI#, for year proximity.

According to CCLI, the only song to have "Vine" in the title, that was used in the Top 2000 for the last ten years, was Vineyard's "You Are the Vine" by Danny Daniels. Nice song, perhaps flexible.

Another popular oldie song, "A New Commandment", has a verse dedicated to the passage. But it's one verse among many.

Matt Maher and Tom Booth wrote a fun song called "Just Live It" and it can be heard on iTunes on Tom Booth's greatest hits. I wouldn't call it congregational friendly, and it's the bridge highlights this passage.

And White Heart has a song called "The Vine" off their Redemption album. Also on iTunes. It's never really caught on, but I'd give it a listen. It just might work.

After this, I immediately thought of John Michael Talbot's "I Am The Vine" and the late Keith Green's "He'll Take Care of the Rest" (with the immortal line, "He Is Divine/and you are da branch.")

Leave a comment:

• Moosicman
    replied
    Humble Thyself In the Sight of the Lord (2nd verse):

I am the vine and you are the branches (echo)
    (repeat)
    And you will bear much fruit....more and more
    And you will bear much fruit.

I can't remember if that is an "official" verse or one we made up when I was younger in youth group, but it works well and we've used it for that very reason in our church. The first verse is great and paired with "More Love, More Power", you have a great little worship moment in E minor.

Leave a comment:

• Hillsman
    replied
    Dave,
    Our fellowship just went through Jn15:1-11 today and I'll include our set list at the end, but first I'd like to say that one thing I have seen God consitantly do is place a song or several on my heart as I am putting together the set list. I never know what the pastor is going to speak on but God does and more times than not He speaks to me about a song that fits perfectly. We have seen this happen again and again.

It sounds cliche but pray about what He would like, pick a group out and listen to that small voice that says which ones. As you know it's all about Him.

Our set was:
    Your name
    The stand
    Come Thou Fount
    How He loves

Glenn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X