No announcement yet.

"Salt & Light" Songs (Matthew 5:13-16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Salt & Light" Songs (Matthew 5:13-16)

Our Senior Pastor is preaching a series called "Be The Change" based on this passage in Matthew. Any thoughts on songs that fit with this theme? For some reason, I am struggling with this. My initial list inlcudes:

Shine - Matt Redman
    Take My Life - Scott Underwood
    Take My Life and Let It Be - Havergal
    You Shine - Brian Doerksen
    Shine Jesus Shine - Graham Kendrick

Hope everyone is having a great week.
    ...Randy

Say So by Israel Houghton has the phrase "To be salt and light to the world, to the world" in it.

The gist of the entire song is based on "let the redeemed of the Lord say so" though...which to me is very complimentary of the "be salt and light" message.

If you've never played it, it might sound a little daunting to arrange at first, but it's a simple song to play and with the right lead vocals you can really take this song and have agreat time with it!
    Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

"Say So" came to mind for me right away as well. Great song. We covered it on our album.

Jami Smith has a song called "Salt & Light" which is pretty nice, too.

Comment

I'll do a more detailed search later today. But for the time being, I ran a search with the term "BE THE CHANGE" in the lyrics.

And immediately, I discovered "The Call" by Jay Cook put out by Hillsong (2008). I don't know if this is Hillsong's United or not.

The chorus is:
        All You are is everything I need
        We'll see the lost come home and find their King
        I want to be a light that shines for You
        To see You lifted high in love and truth.

The final verse is:
        Whoa-oh-oh unified we hear the call
        Whoa-oh-oh to reach this city for You Lord
        Whoa-oh-oh we can be the change for earth
        Because of You we stand in hope.

Also, Integrity Music has a 2009-song called "Be the Change" written by Jon Egan and Mia Feldes. No references to salt nor light, but the chorus still appears to be strong:

Look out look out across the world
        Nothing can stop the Savior's work
        We'll be the change upon this earth
        We'll be the change
        We'll be the change
        Look out look out let all men see
        We'll be His hands and be His feet
        From now until eternity
        We'll be the change
        We'll be the change
        --------------
        I'll keep you posted...
        Nick

ETA:
        I think it's only fair to add a 2009-copyrighted song put out by "Equipper's Church" written by James Monk, called "Can You Feel It?"

Every great change in history
        Started with someone somewhere
        Now it's time for you and me
        To live out what we believe
        Let's be the change this world needs (x2)
        Last edited by NickAlexander; 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM.
        Nick Alexander
        Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
        Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
        Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

From the hundreds of thousands of songs within the CCLI database, there were only 104 songs that had both "salt" and "light" in its lyrics (or, had those terms, and had lyrics available).

From this list of 104, I juxtaposed that with the Top 2000 list, and those of the past ten years. Here are the seven final results, in popularity descending order:

Say So (CCLI# 4944016) by {Gungor, Michael/Houghton, Israel}at #237
          Salt And Light (CCLI# 3470093) by {L'Ecuyer, Jan/L'Ecuyer, John}at #456
          Go Make Disciples (CCLI# 659058) by {Hanson, Handt}at #1815
          Go Make A Difference (CCLI# 2945945) by {Angrisano, Steve/Tomaszek, Tom}
          Here I Am (CCLI# 39489) by {Bowater, Chris}
          Miracle In My Heart (CCLI# 2671109) by {Houston, Brian}
          Salt And Light (CCLI# 1238399) by {Grant, Amy\King, Wes}

Both "Say So" and "Salt and Light" have been mentioned before on this thread.

I actually know the song "Go Make A Difference" by Steve Angrisano, and have used it. It's an easy, fun song, in an uptempo D-minor key.

And I remember "Salt and Light" from Amy Grant's "Songs from the Loft" days. I can't say I was entirely enamoured of the song, nor do I suspect you would want to introduce a nearly twenty-year old praise chorus to your group.

Good luck!
          Nick
          Nick Alexander
          Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
          Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
          Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
            Jami Smith has a song called "Salt & Light" which is pretty nice, too.
            We've done this one quite a few times... good song for these types of themes. Even more fun if you've got a female vocalist who can sing it like Jami! (it's in an awkward range for most guys without transposition)
            Eric Frisch
            www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

And immediately, I discovered "The Call" by Jay Cook put out by Hillsong (2008). I don't know if this is Hillsong's United or not.

The Call was done by Hillsong London on Hail to the King. Not a bad song if you like a lot of "Whoa-oh-oh"'s .

Comment

Wow!

Thank you ALL! for the great suggestions. I had done a quick CCLI search. Quite a few of the songs were unfamiliar. Your insights and suggestions will save me a lot of time trying to do the filtering!

Be Blessed!
                ...Randy

Comment

Working...
                X