Repeating Songs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeating Songs

...I was wondering how much time you usually allow before repeating a song. This pertains to all the regular songs in your catalog, with the exception of new songs you are teaching.

Personally, I usually don't repeat a song until a month has gone by. For example, if the last time I used, "Blessed Be Your Name" was in early September, then I feel comfortable in using it again here in late October. I keep track of when I use songs, so I'm able to see when the last time it was used.

Do you think that I am allowing too much time to pass until I repeat a song? I understand that there are a lot of variables involved in decisions regarding how often to repeat songs. For instance, if there is a song that the congregation is not too strong with, then it wouldn't make much sense to rotate that song much (if at all). However, assuming the congregation is strong with a particular song, how often would you rotate it?
    Last edited by MattB; 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM.

I typically try not to do a song two weeks in a row, but my priority is connection people with the big picture of each worship gathering, and I'll do a song every week if it fits. I'll also keep an eye out for any songs that we haven't sung in a while and try to keep them plugged in. Other than that, I really don't pay much attention to how often I repeat a song.

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
      I typically try not to do a song two weeks in a row, but my priority is connection people with the big picture of each worship gathering, and I'll do a song every week if it fits. I'll also keep an eye out for any songs that we haven't sung in a while and try to keep them plugged in. Other than that, I really don't pay much attention to how often I repeat a song.

Nate
      ...so priority for you in song selection is "theme". What you're looking for are songs that plug-in to the particular "theme" of a given Sunday's worship service, and if the song fits, it doesn't matter how recently the song has been used prior - what matters is that it contributes to connecting people to the "big picture" of each week.

I select songs in much the same way in that I always have a "theme" or central idea that I build each week's song service off of. Perhaps I need to relax a little bit about worrying if I'm repeating a song too soon or not and just let the creativity flow...

Comment

Repeating songs

I have set up an Excel spreadsheet that helps me keep track of how often I do songs, as well as themes, Bible references, etc. It has become a valuable tool that has really helped me keep my planning organized.

My church has a contemporary and a traditional service. I generally wait six weeks minimum between praise and worship songs and four weeks minimum between hymns.

The exception is with new music. I will generally do a new song two weeks in a row to help the congregation learn it.

WEB - http://jonwellman.com
        TWIT - Jon Wellman (jonwellman) on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
          ...so priority for you in song selection is "theme". What you're looking for are songs that plug-in to the particular "theme" of a given Sunday's worship service, and if the song fits, it doesn't matter how recently the song has been used prior - what matters is that it contributes to connecting people to the "big picture" of each week.
          Basically.

Nate
          Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

We don't really have so formal a policy, but try to allow at least 3-4 weeks to go by. There are always exceptions:

New songs: We typically follow the 2-1-1 plan.

If a song really connects one particular week, we might add it the next week for continuity.

If a song really fits the them of the message we might do it for the altar call regardless of when it was played last. And of course, if the speaker requests it.

If there is a multi-day event going on (encounter weekend, revival weeks...) we will usually have at least one song that is done at every worship session. This helps to pull the event together, and also will be familar to any non-attenders who may be attending the event.

Comment

I handle this pretty much the same way everybody else here seems to... try to wait 3-4 weeks, but the service theme is the most important aspect of song selection.
              Eric Frisch
              www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

...sounds like most of us are pretty much on the same page as far as song rotation: waiting a few weeks before repeating a song.
                I've only been leading worship for over a year now, and was wondering how I rotate songs was similar of different than what others do.

Comment

I agree with theme being the main concern, but these days so many churches are planning series or soap opera style preaching, that we could probably be doing the same set every week of the series. How mundane!

It depends on who's the one choosing:
                  My predecessor tried to wait at least a couple months, if not three. He focused on choosing one or two that fit the week's theme, and just chose filler songs/general praise.

I liked to wait at least a month, if not limit song to X number of uses per year or 1/2 year. I focused on trying to choose every song that fit the week.

the woman who took my place for a few months liked choosing the same song repeatedly, even if it wasn't a teaching song/ had been in the catalog for at least a couple years. Such as the time she chose one song 5 times in 7 weeks...ouch. She, in her first weeks, chose 1 or 2 that fit and chose the others as what she felt liike singing that week. that continued until the pastor told to do it my way.

now that she's gone, the new woman is more along my approach, both in weekly selection and fitting vs general material.

Comment

I have to admit something

We repeat songs alot! Because we only know about ten or twelve with our new band lol (new band members because college called one, the US Army called one and a baby called two others)

AND because our congregation likes familiarity. sp?
                    AND because I like to hear the congregation sing and participate.
                    AND if the they are familiar with a song they SING!!!!

So we throw in a new one every other week or so-mixed in with the good ole familiar-feel good-n-safe ones because they know em.
                    I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

Originally posted by chipshot0701 View Post
                      I have to admit something

We repeat songs alot! Because we only know about ten or twelve with our new band lol (new band members because college called one, the US Army called one and a baby called two others)

AND because our congregation likes familiarity. sp?
                      AND because I like to hear the congregation sing and participate.
                      AND if the they are familiar with a song they SING!!!!

So we throw in a new one every other week or so-mixed in with the good ole familiar-feel good-n-safe ones because they know em.

i am agree with you

Comment

Working...
                      X