Anyone else sick of music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else sick of music?

Ok, maybe not sick, but, I am starting to get tired of all the music that I 'have' to listen to in order to find something good. It seems like lately there are so many albums out there that I just get tired of wading through it all. And quite frankly, most of it is sub-par, poorly written stuff. I remember back in the day everyone was fighting 'the man' and wanting more variety and selection. Well, now everyone has gotten their wish and the market is flooded with everyone's crap.

The digital revolution has made it so easy to record that virtually everyone is putting a CD together and the standards have fallen dramatically. I don't have enough time in a day to listen to find albums that will become classics because quite frankly, most of them won't. We might pull a song or two, but for the most part it just seems like there is too much junk. I get 3-4 songs recommended to me a week by church members and most of them time they are ok at best. Are blogs and forums the only way to go now?

And dude, don't push that Deluge album again. Seriously.

I basically just stick with what I know (CT, DCB, LB, HSU, etc.) and wait for them to put out their next album cause I know it will have stuff I can use. I stopped hunting for new stuff a long time ago and now just keep my ear open and buy the music that I want to listen to, hoping that I might get lucky.

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by stephen_can_man View Post
      And dude, don't push that Deluge album again. Seriously.
      Hahahahahahahahaha. I've still got tears in my eyes from laughing.

But seriously it is getting old.

Anyway, yeah I agree. I get kind of tired of listening and also sometimes I don't feel like playing. I know it should always be a joy, but when its not I remember that this is ministering to so many people and is ultimately for the glory of God.

Comment

One word:

WRITE.
        Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

One word:

AMEN
          Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
          blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
          www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
          www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

milepost -
            care to break down your initials - I'm guessing, Chris Tomlin, David Crowder Band ... then, I'm lost.

Comment

Lincoln Brewster, Hillsong United (which I guess should just be HU).

Nate
              Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Yes I agree...Tomlin, Crowder, Brewster, and Hillsong are my staples as well. I have written songs, but, they arent very good. I have high standards on myself and the music we do...probably too high. I spend so much time learning songs and breaking them down that they start to lose their "magic.'' Good thing the goal of worship is Christ and not just music...

Comment

made some minor adjustments to be more forum-friendly, hope you'll not disregard my input because of previous posts reflecting enthusiasm for a worship group that will remain unnamed.

in reply to your post, sometimes the old stuff thats been sitting on the shelf for years is where to go. just this weekend i listened to old Phil Keaggy that i grew up listening to with my dad.. specifically Take Me Closer, which if you haven't heard it before, its worth a listen. "you're the source of my life sweet Jesus, bringing forth a good fruit. like a branch clinging to the vine, so i'm clinging to You..." musically excellent, lyrically pure.

Comment

I hope you won't mind if I come in on this from a different angle. I want to start with saying that I agree that writing is one good way to go - thanks for that encouragement!

I think I have two major responses to the ideas in this thread. First, I worry about our tendency to find our worship music from a few popular "hit makers". I recognise that these people are gifted artists and song writers, and that their music has inspired many, but to be honest, I find the lack of variety in the themes and lyrical content of most of the popular worship "stars" (if I may use that term) to be frustrating and very limiting. I also worry that much of our evaluation of what makes good worship music has become coloured (South African spelling ;-)) by production quality, listening value and ability to sell CDs. To be honest I have struggled to find fresh and thought-provoking worship music on all but a very small minority of new worship CDs (Vicky Beeching is the one amazing exception for me here - she's awesome!). I long for some new, startling, surprising worship music, that is singable, that explores some of the richness of Christian theology beyond just the basics, and that helps our people engage more deeply in living their life as Christ-followers, rather than just having a "great worship experience" in church. Sorry if this sounds negative, it's not intended to be. It's just a concern I have - even as I use many of the songs from these popular writers, and find them, at times, very helpful.

My second thought, is that perhaps our "music-fatigue" stems from the current trend to place the "weight" of the worship experience on the music. Music was never intended to be the whole deal, or even a major part of it. It was always meant to be a facilitator that leads worshippers into the more personal and participative worship expressions of prayer, liturgy (however you want to view that), symbolism, sacrament and acts of service. How many worship CDs these days include great, inspiring prayers? How many offer any kind of different expression of worship other than the music? In my experience - none. Perhaps if we begin to shift the emphasis off the music, and on to these other expressions of worship, our fatigue will begin to diminish.

Just my rambling thoughts....

Blessings
                    John

Comment

I hope you won't mind if I come in on this from a different angle. I want to start with saying that I agree that writing is one good way to go - thanks for that encouragement!

I think I have two major responses to the ideas in this thread. First, I worry about our tendency to find our worship music from a few popular "hit makers". I recognise that these people are gifted artists and song writers, and that their music has inspired many, but to be honest, I find the lack of variety in the themes and lyrical content of most of the popular worship "stars" (if I may use that term) to be frustrating and very limiting. I also worry that much of our evaluation of what makes good worship music has become coloured (South African spelling ;-)) by production quality, listening value and ability to sell CDs. To be honest I have struggled to find fresh and thought-provoking worship music on all but a very small minority of new worship CDs (Vicky Beeching is the one amazing exception for me here - she's awesome!). I long for some new, startling, surprising worship music, that is singable, that explores some of the richness of Christian theology beyond just the basics, and that helps our people engage more deeply in living their life as Christ-followers, rather than just having a "great worship experience" in church. Sorry if this sounds negative, it's not intended to be. It's just a concern I have - even as I use many of the songs from these popular writers, and find them, at times, very helpful.

My second thought, is that perhaps our "music-fatigue" stems from the current trend to place the "weight" of the worship experience on the music. Music was never intended to be the whole deal, or even a major part of it. It was always meant to be a facilitator that leads worshippers into the more personal and participative worship expressions of prayer, liturgy (however you want to view that), symbolism, sacrament and acts of service. How many worship CDs these days include great, inspiring prayers? How many offer any kind of different expression of worship other than the music? In my experience - none. Perhaps if we begin to shift the emphasis off the music, and on to these other expressions of worship, our fatigue will begin to diminish.

Just my rambling thoughts....

Blessings
                      John

Comment

excellent points, John.

Nate
                        Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Thanks, Nate.

BTW - Awesome blogs. I'm keeping you guys in my prayers.

Blessings
                          John
                          __________________________________________________ ________
                          Sacredise - Resources for Integrative Worship & Spirituality

Comment

John,
                            excellent post and reply, one that should be read and re-read several times.

Comment

im with the other guy....WRITE....and if you have writer's block - then buy the deluge album...those guys are really good..

Comment

Working...
                              X