- Lead humbly. It’s not about you, it’s about God and others.
- Learn your instrument. Become skilled so that you can help others worship.
- Lead confidently. Build your confidence through practice.
- Learn Scripture. Scripture informs our theology. Theology informs our worship.
- Lead with open hands. Don’t be possessive of leadership. Share. Allow others to lead with you.
- Learn to learn. Never stop learning chords and theory.
- Lead in love. Know that it isn’t about how good you look or sound, but about how effective you are at helping OTHERS worship.
- Learn to accept criticism and compliments, both humbly and deferentially. Always deflect to Jesus.
- Lead leaders. Help other leaders grow in their gifts.
- Learn to lead. Leadership skills don’t come with titles or positions. Learn from folks who have been where you are and who have walked where you’re walking.
What other LEAD and LEARN tips would you add to this list?
Russ Hutto is the Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church where he mentors, oversees and helps lead Family and Student worship environments. He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.