Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Under Stage Lights

Default Playing Under Stage Lights

So, last night was the first time I really was under heavy "stage" type lighting... worst experience ever. I felt like I was baking in an easy bake oven and aftet the end of the set capped off with a very energetic "Sing To the King." Needless to say about halfway through I was dripping in sweat and could barely keep hold of my pick, which I did lose at the VERY end of the song with an abrupt "bong" of the guitar and immediate palm mute. Couldn't focus and felt miserable... I had to apologize to the drummer who was clearly having problems staying with me (my fault).

Yet God is so good, everyone was praising the Lord anyways and most probably didn't even notice, God is good.

Anyone have an experiance like that or tips? Play in shorts, tank top,and sandals next time? LOL... I never really play with that type of equipment hanging around so it was a first experience for me and I hated every minute of it if I'm being honest. I couldn't focus at all, I was not worshipping the Lord at all (sounds terrible but my head was swirling with irrational nonsense from being miserable). I already get a little warmer when I play guitar without any help.

Any pratical advise for next time besides asking them to make sure it is not full on and trying to pray a bit when it is getting uncomfortably hot?
    Lov'n Jesus

Questions for you:

1. What were you wearing?

2. Were you nervous? Nerves will make you sweat!
    ~Shahan "Shawn" Manalp

Worship/Music director at Concord UMC, Concord Michigan.

Truthfully, there's not a lot you can do besides get used to it. The rock and roll review I tour with plays our first show wearing heavy 50's style letter sweaters and the second in tuxedos. When we use our own lights, we have LED fixtures that put out basically no heat, but oftentimes we find ourselves surrounded by conventional fixtures, and that makes it HOT! You pretty much just have to grin and bear it :-)
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

We've started playing our Sunday evening service that way- it annoys me because I like to see people, not a blaring white light

It is hot, too- feels like an incubator.

Not sure why the change-

My experience on a "real "stage with lights and concert sound is limited to one time when my wife, daughter and I opened for the professional group that was performing at our Fall Festival. I was uncomfortable with the level of sound, especially the monitors, and the brightness of the lights. It was outdoors on a late October evening, so the heat wasn't a problem, but had it been indoors, I would probably been drenched in sweat, too.

There is something totally unnatural about the sound levels, bright lights and the nervousness of that setting that almost suck the breath out of a person. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. (Apologies to Frank Sinatra.)
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by eyema_believer View Post
    Questions for you:

1. What were you wearing?

2. Were you nervous? Nerves will make you sweat!
    1) Jeans and two t-shirts (could have cut out the second shirt but was rushing from work)

2) No, I've led in that location and setup previously, but they switched stuff up and added some cans for lighting.
    Lov'n Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by efrisch View Post
    Truthfully, there's not a lot you can do besides get used to it. The rock and roll review I tour with plays our first show wearing heavy 50's style letter sweaters and the second in tuxedos. When we use our own lights, we have LED fixtures that put out basically no heat, but oftentimes we find ourselves surrounded by conventional fixtures, and that makes it HOT! You pretty much just have to grin and bear it :-)
    Headband? Lol...

That getup sounds way too warm...
    Lov'n Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe a Worshiper View Post
    My experience on a "real "stage with lights and concert sound is limited to one time when my wife, daughter and I opened for the professional group that was performing at our Fall Festival. I was uncomfortable with the level of sound, especially the monitors, and the brightness of the lights. It was outdoors on a late October evening, so the heat wasn't a problem, but had it been indoors, I would probably been drenched in sweat, too.

There is something totally unnatural about the sound levels, bright lights and the nervousness of that setting that almost suck the breath out of a person. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. (Apologies to Frank Sinatra.)
    Tom
    I'm sure experience will be good, I was clearly not ready for the situation changing. They even setup a much more elaborate sound system we had to get used to during setup. I don't think any of the changes were bad, but I certainly was not ready for them.
    Lov'n Jesus

2 thoughts.. See if they can change out the lights for LED.. They aren't hot, and they are better on the energy bill... And 2... Lighter clothing... I tend to do jeans and a tshirt.. Shorts in the summer. I also have a sweat band on my arm, which catches the nasty arm sweat, which runs down to the hand, and causes the pick to slip out.

I'm a sweaty guy.. Always have been.. Playing under lights takes some practice. Are they lights that youve added that will be there weekly now? If they are.. Use them during Rehersal too.. Or if you are able... Go in on your own once a week, crank the lights, and practice by yourself with the lights.

Also.. As a tip.. Bring a towel.. My wife keeps mine in the diaper bag.. So when the set is done, I go sit with her, and I wipe down (we sit at the back.. ).. It's a gross topic, but it's a reality.. Nothing worse than sitting there during the sermon soakng wet.

Oh.. And don't wear grey... Grey really allows the sweat to be seen.. Black or white work really well for hiding a wet back or pits!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisburke; 05-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Bring a fan - moving air is a good thing. And don't worry about not worshipping, for the moment. There are many distractions that stop us from worshipping and heat/ light are 2 of them, but repetition and familiarity with these will allow you to focus on God again. He knows where your heart is, whether you are playing/ leading or not, and He knows all the challenges we face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast