Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be offended by this?

Quote Originally Posted by milepost13 View Post
    It's all about context. The email alone is neutral. Obviously, something about your context that the rest of us are unaware of has turned this email into something negative. Nothing we can say to you here can bring any light to that...you've got to ask the people who received the email.
    Nate beat me to the punch. He's so right here. Also, keep in mind that others' perception of us drives how they receive our words. If they find us trustworthy, there is more grace in the words we use. Otherwise, it may feel like we have to walk on eggshells because we feel like no matter what we say, it will be received wrong. Nevertheless, continue to love them the best way you know how. Make sure they know how much you love them; everyone needs to feel valued. Thanks for your transparency. Many blessings to you!
    Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
    BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

Looks like you have plenty of replies to sort through here...and it does seem that you have some overly sensitive musicians, but my opinion is that emails to your worship team should be used only for communicating dates/times, checking scheduling availability or giving praise to them. I suppose you could send out a prayer request if it is an appropriate one.

I'm curious if ALL your team members were offended, or just one or two? If it was really one or two people causing the distraction, then they probably know who they are and they may feel like they were "called out" in front of everyone via the group email. Or, depending on the relationships that already exist between team members, one member could be "taking up another's offense" and as nearly ALWAYS happens in that case, grossly magnifying it.

Trust is the basis for instruction/coaching/admonition and trust takes time. Plus, you WILL run into people who are simply too immature to be teachable. "A fool despises instruction..." Prov. something... and unfortunately there are foolish people out there.

Thanks guys for all of your input. I've decided to meet with them all individually, and apologize for doing this over email. I can't apologize for the content, because it's really just basic stuff and common courtesy. I'm also going to stress how important it is to talk directly to me when they have a problem with me, instead of with others (which many of them have done) I'll let you know how it turns out.

Peace!
    ~Shahan "Shawn" Manalp

Worship/Music director at Concord UMC, Concord Michigan.

It seems our practices are run differently. For me, because of what I expect of our team.. Rehearsal time is not the place where we come and try to learn a part of a song.. That's what my musicians do on their own time, at home, when they practice. When I create sets in planning center, I attach any sheet music necessary, as well as a YouTube video, or mp3 that most depicts the way we will be doing a song... Then I expect that my team (who are volunteers) will be practicing those songs at home.. When we come together at rehearsal, that is where we put it all together. Rehearsals for us last about 1.5 hours .. 30 mins for devotions, then an hour to rehearse. Its not where we come to say "I can't figure out how to play "this" part.. They do that on their own time.. Mostly because they are all volunteers, and I don't want to waste their time.. Most of my team are already out 3 nights a week with church related things.. So I try to respect that they probably want to be at home. If someone shows up at rehearsal and theyve put time into their personal practice and they still are having trouble, I meet with them personally to work on it.. So as not to sit at rehearsal, working with 1 person, while the rest of the team just sits there... When they sit there board, this is where noodling around happens.. Because they get board!

Just a thought.. May not work for your team. It has worked for my team for 7 years, and they are all volunteers except me. It's about setting a standard for your team.. My standard is excellence, as that is what God has called us to.. And I communicate this with my team all the time.. I share with them why I want them to practice on their own time.. And they get it.. They may be "just volunteers" but they are volunteering because they love music (presumably) and more important.. They love worshipping the King.. So, don't be afraid to expect more from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisburke; 05-09-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisburke View Post
    It seems our practices are run differently... It's about setting a standard for your team.. My standard is excellence, as that is what God has called us to.. And I communicate this with my team all the time.. I share with them why I want them to practice on their own time.. And they get it.. They may be "just volunteers" but they are volunteering because they love music (presumably) and more important.. They love worshipping the King.. So, don't be afraid to expect more from them.

Yes indeed. I have indeed been sending the mp3s and youtube stuff, but that is just to get an idea. My philosophy in general is different than yours. I've learned over the the years that there are two ways to do songs with a group. You can give each person a cd (or mp3,or whatever), have them all learn parts at home, and then everyone comes together and plays the part they learned at home and it sounds something like music, but usually more like a disjointed mess. Or, you can train your musicians how to come up with an appropriate part for a song based on the arrangement the leader is trying to accomplish. I find the prior way lends to people not having to listen to each other, and not making that transition to playing by oneself to actually having a musical conversation. I studied jazz in college, and the chart was just a starting point. I want my people to be able to respond to each other in ways that saying "here, go learn this part and we'll all come back together to play the parts that we've learned at the same time" just simply can't accomplish. This, to me, is holding my team to a much higher standard than having them locked into a certain part that someone else came up with. Personally, I prefer not sending a cd/mp3 or whatever in advance, but the team I currently have aren't to that point. The bass player has been playing for about 6 months. The drummer played with humans the first time about 2 months ago, having learned on "Rock Band" video game. Funny thing is, this kid actually has a much better meter than many "drummers" I have played with that have many many years of experience.
    ~Shahan "Shawn" Manalp

We all have our ways... From the sounds of it.. Based on the email you sent.. Your rehearsals are stressfully frustrating .. Thus having to send that email.. My rehearsals run very smooth, and we do our own take on the songs.. As I said, the videos I send are to best depict how it will sound.. But certainly not bang on. Rehearsing at home gets them familiar with the song.. Which then allows for more improv.. Which we do a lot of.

Also my bass player had never touched a bass until the day i approached him and asked him to take it up.. He played cello prior to tat.

An additional thought.. Based on the other thread you have.. Being new in a church and changing things (even when asked to make changes).. Can be really hard. When I started at my current church, I was asked to change things.. And changed things to the way I wanted them.. And got a lot of resistance.. From the congregation.. And the worship team.. I'm guessing your team isn't use to the way you do things.. And it might be worth asking them if that style is working for them.. While in your eyes in may be the best way to do things, if it's not working of the team, maybe ask them how they want to do things.. And gradually change things, instead of just changing it all overnight. I had to bite my tongue and sit with the worship team, see where they were at, and also talk with the congregation to see where they were at. It means change doesn't happen as quickly as we would like, but it is more accepted.. And then over time, it can get to where you want it.

Churches are fickle.. And they dont like change.. They will accept gradual change.. But if you try and change it all over night.. It wont go over well, with the team, or the congregation.

Last edited by chrisburke; 05-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisburke View Post
    We all have our ways... From the sounds of it.. Based on the email you sent.. Your rehearsals are stressfully frustrating .. Thus having to send that email.. My rehearsals run very smooth, and we do our own take on the songs.. As I said, the videos I send are to best depict how it will sound.. But certainly not bang on. Rehearsing at home gets them familiar with the song.. Which then allows for more improv.. Which we do a lot of.

Also my bass player had never touched a bass until the day i approached him and asked him to take it up.. He played cello prior to tat.

I appreciate your thoughts. No, the frustration is in people not observing basic rehearsal etiquette, and not respecting one another and their leader. Having said that, this thread is about primarily a communication issue.
    ~Shahan "Shawn" Manalp

Next rehearsal, bring a water canon.... the first person that gets out of line gets it.... just kidding.... hehe.
    Every way of man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts. Proverbs 21:2

Shawn, the problem with electronic communication is your verbal tone, eye contact, and body language (and by extension, the love you intended in the message) are not part of the equation. While I don't have any problem with your email, I'm not personally invested in your worship team, and artists can be very touchy about criticism even when it's not directly related to their art.

While you're still in the honeymoon phase of your tenure, I'd stick with personal delivery of critical feedback... and encouragement, too. Use electronic communication for delivery of stuff like times, dates, and other matters that are factual, not opinion, and truly apply to all that are receiving the message. Once you have made a few deposits to the relationship "bank," I think you're team will relax a little.

Best wishes and I pray that this snag will be soon overlooked by you and your team!
    Dave
    "Rock On" (Matt 7:24-25)

Dave Brown
    facebook.com/7.Funk.7.Master.7
    twitter.com/funkmaster777

For those who might want to know how this has turned out, here is an update. I had meetings with all but one person on my team (still trying to corner him) and the "face to face" cleared things up in a hurry. I'm learning that how to deal with people who have "strong" personalities, which has always been an issue for me. Thanks for your encouragement!
    ~Shahan "Shawn" Manalp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast