Thread: Questions in an interview

Default Questions in an interview

Got an interview coming up for a f/t worship/creative arts gig..

It's my first time working (paid) for a church.. Going into an established church.. Previous worship pastor burned them pretty bad from what they've told me.

What kinds of questions would you ask going into an interview for a worship gig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to know the ratio of ages from seniors to youth in the church. If the seniors are more than 10% of the people, you will have much resistance to any effective change. This may very well be what the "burned" you mentioned is all about.

Understanding this issue in advance will go a long way in helping you decide whether this is the right place for you, and how you will lead once you are there.

And I hope you don't really look at this as a gig.
    Tom

This is a very contemporary church..that is already running with a worship director, but he's "leaving" (got fired).. The old folks who don't like the new stuff go to the morning trad service.

And the burning wasn't in trying to change style.. It was a "the resume and interview didn't line up with reality"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a very contemporary church..that is already running with a worship director, but he's "leaving" (got fired).. The old folks who don't like the new stuff go to the morning trad service.

And the burning wasn't in trying to change style.. It was a "the resume and interview didn't line up with reality"

And the gig comment was in jest... I call my current youth job a gig too.. And I've been in it for 8 years..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's good to know.

A few years ago I sought input from bloggers on TWC and compiled a list of questions. It is far too long to post here....lol, but if you shoot me a quick email to trents@paradisecma.org, I'll send you a copy of the document.

For what they ask you:
    Know your faith! Most churches would like to be lead in worship by someone who knows God and is confident in Scriptural principles. It's not just if you sound awesome playing guitar and singing the ccli top 25 but also think thru how you deal with conflict, what your strengths and weaknesses are (being completely honest).

For what you ask them:
    Will the pastoral staff support you in good times and bad? If they won't go to bat for you, it's going to be a really difficult road. conflict is inevitable! You need a support system from up the totem pole. Are they going to trust your leadership or will you have no opportunity to use your unique ideas? What are the hourly expectations? Who are some ppl you may experience problems with? Do they have any equipment and who maintains it?

Its really good to know me! Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this thanks. love this way!

Quote Originally Posted by billy4t View Post
    For what you ask them:
    Will the pastoral staff support you in good times and bad? If they won't go to bat for you, it's going to be a really difficult road. conflict is inevitable! You need a support system from up the totem pole. Are they going to trust your leadership or will you have no opportunity to use your unique ideas? What are the hourly expectations? Who are some ppl you may experience problems with? Do they have any equipment and who maintains it?
    These are some great questions, billy4t! Thank you!