Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leading a different churches and married...

Question Leading a different churches and married...

Question, does anyone here lead worship for one church and their spouse at another?

If so, how is that going for you? Does it cause any ripples in your marriage?
    If not, what do you think about that concept? Do you think it's healthy or hindering?
    Krista
    Worship Leader
    My Blog
    http://colorsinhandfuls.tumblr.com

Most of the replies that I have posted previously emphasize that the role of a worship leader is not a musical function; rather it is a leadership function. In that context, would it make sense for any leader, deacon, elder, pastor, etc. to serve at one church while their spouse serves at another?

Holding secular jobs with different employers may not cause ripples in your personal lives. The example of a husband & wife serving two different bodies, as leaders, could set an unusual precedent for your respective churches. If Timothy separated husbands and wives in Ephesus, Paul might not have had as much to write about.
    "Rock On" (Matt 7:24-25)

Dave Brown
    facebook.com/7.Funk.7.Master.7
    twitter.com/funkmaster777

I'd have to agree with Dave. The idea of a "hired gun" worship leader is, I think, inherently unhealthy for both the minister and the ministry for anything other than a limited time to fill an immediate need.

And I think absolutely that a husband and wife should serve as part of the same faith community.

I have not experienced that, but it's an intriguing question...

As far as healthy or hindering, to me, that would depend on a few things- is it the same church but 2 locations, like parent and satellite? That might be ok.

If it was a church plant or something like that (kind of the same as a satellite but on an interim basis until a permanent leader is appointed)

Most other situations probably wouldn't be healthy. Part of leading worship is to be plugged in to the church as a family. Two different churches are going to have two different visions, etc. and it would seem like a husband and wife leading worship at two different churches is more of a career than a calling.

What about kids? Would they go to his one week and hers the next? How about tithe? Another his & hers?

I don't see it being viable in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by kristamiller86 View Post
    Question, does anyone here lead worship for one church and their spouse at another?

If so, how is that going for you? Does it cause any ripples in your marriage?
    If not, what do you think about that concept? Do you think it's healthy or hindering?
    I know a worship leader in this situation. He is at one church, his wife is participating in the worship team at another church. It is a cause of consternation and some embarassment for him. I don't know how she feels about it.

I have been in this position. I was asked to lead in the interim and consider accepting the position at a completely diferent church. My wife was involved with the worship team at our church. It went okay but i could not see doing it on an extended basis.At times there was conflict. I helped the church find a worship leader and went back to our church.
    Love the Lord your God with all your heart with your soul with all your mind and with all your strength!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
    I'd have to agree with Dave. The idea of a "hired gun" worship leader is, I think, inherently unhealthy for both the minister and the ministry for anything other than a limited time to fill an immediate need.

And I think absolutely that a husband and wife should serve as part of the same faith community.
    Exactly. If we are called to be deeply involved in our communities (and I believe we are), then what are the odds that God woukd lead a married couple to ministry & community at two different churches? Seems unlikely to me.
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

I left the church my wife and I were married in to take a position as WL in a neighboring church. (Here in Greenville, SC, there is a Baptist church on nearly every corner.) She stayed there, because she knew they were going to ask her to become the WL there. So We served at different churches. She left where she had been and went to a different church, and I changed churches awhile later. In the end, she resigned from her church, which she loved, and came to where I was serving, so we could worship together.

In retrospect, this was not a good situation. It isn't that we weren't called by God to do what we were doing; it just served to put distance between us that we didn't notice at first. The biggest obstacles were around scheduling-- neither of us could attend the special programs the other church put on, because we were each tied up at our own church.

In the end, we both came to the realization that we really needed to worship together, so she resigned, and came to my church, and it truly has been a positive thing for our marriage.

So the bottom line, from one who has been there and done that-- I would not advise a husband and wife to serve in different churches. "What God has joined together, let no man separate."
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mike on Bass View Post
    I have not experienced that, but it's an intriguing question...

As far as healthy or hindering, to me, that would depend on a few things- is it the same church but 2 locations, like parent and satellite? That might be ok.

If it was a church plant or something like that (kind of the same as a satellite but on an interim basis until a permanent leader is appointed)

Most other situations probably wouldn't be healthy. Part of leading worship is to be plugged in to the church as a family. Two different churches are going to have two different visions, etc. and it would seem like a husband and wife leading worship at two different churches is more of a career than a calling.

What about kids? Would they go to his one week and hers the next? How about tithe? Another his & hers?

I don't see it being viable in most cases.
    The church my husband is leading at had no connection with were I am. The only common ground is that they are both contemporary United Methodist churches. And they are right down the street from each other.
    Krista
    Worship Leader
    My Blog

This is all great feedback guys. Thank you so much. I've really been thinking alot about this...

The short version is... my husband and I have been leading together for last 6 years. Last July he took a position at a very large and well known UMC church. When he was brought on he told the staff that he comes as a set (with me). So they put me on as contract. We led together up until January of this year when the worship director (who is also the worship leader for the satellite campus) pulled me. She told my husband that I could only lead once a month with him. (She's an interesting person and thatís another story)
    This was very upsetting and very hard for my hubbs and I. Being told that we were not capable of leading worship together and that the congregation was not ready for "my kind of worship" was very discouraging.
    SO I was "benched" for lack of better words. Once some friends got wind of my free Sundays I started getting asked to lead at other churches. One of them being this UMC church down the street. They started pursuing me about leading on a regular basis there. My hubbs didn't want me to pass up the opportunity and he felt that I could serve well there and be accepted. (We do not come from a Methodist background. We come from a non-denom/ AG background and the UMC church that was pursuing me was more like a non-denom then Methodist.) Also the worship pastor there right now will be leaving in August and they want me to potentially fill the role.
    Again that is the short version.
    Krista
    Worship Leader
    My Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast