Thread: Drum Doldrums

Question Drum Doldrums

My little church doesn't need much, or have anything, in the area of percussion, but I'm wondering if there is a good way to ease into something like....a djembe? or something a little simpler. I know there are no drummers in my church, but I never expect perfection or even talent, just a worshipful heart. Any advice on easing into this? I'm even willing to teach whomever would like to participate in worship in this fashion some basics.

Thanks

Opinions on this will vary (obviously), but if I was looking at a single hand drum kind of set up, I would look at a cajon rather than a djembe. They're cheap, relatively easy to learn, and will give a more "kit like" experience, both for the player & the congregation. I like the Meinl ones a lot.

I will say that I also own and play a lot of djembe in worship settings, but I think it's harder to play well & more difficult to maintain for a beginner.
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

I second the cajon. Easy to play and you can get a lot of nice sounds out of them, and some even have pedal-adjustable snares in there for a different sound.

I've use the cajon, a djembe, a bodhran, congas, even bongos in worship. Any can add a nice flair.

That's awesome guys...I actually built a cajon in the past...don't know why I didn't consider this option...I'm happy I signed up for this sight...