Thread: Help with ideas for more visual setup

Default Help with ideas for more visual setup

Here is the current setup we are using for our Saturday service. We set up and tear down every week, so this all has to be easily portable.
    http://www.ajoyfulministry.com/temp/ignite.jpg
    http://www.ajoyfulministry.com/temp/ignite2.jpg
    http://www.ajoyfulministry.com/temp/ignite3.jpg
    http://www.ajoyfulministry.com/temp/ignite4.jpg
    http://www.ajoyfulministry.com/temp/ignite5.jpg

We have one 60" LCD tv that is mounted to the wall and the other one is on a stand that we put up on a riser every week.

Some thoughts that I have had:

Replace the Ignite Banner with a screen that can be projected from the back with a short throw projector. There is only about 8-10 feet to the corner of the room from the trusses.

Set up a bigger screen on each side of the stage.

Suspend a long narrow screen above the trusses and project on it with two or three edge blended projectors.

None of these ideas really jump out as what we need to do.

I think our goals for expanding the setup are to make the lyrics more readable, give us more creative possibilities, and create a more immersive experience.

Thanks,

Kirk
    PS, tried to upload the photos directly here, and kept getting errors.

Couple of things that jump out....

What is the purpose of the cans mounted on the truss behind the platform? They seem more like a distraction than anything else, looking at the pictures.

Looks like the side monitor is getting washed out by the lighting. The upper one a little bit, too. If your primary goal is to make the lyrics readable, your lighting may be overkill.

I like the setup. To bad there doesn't seem to be a way to get overhead lighting in center, and do away with the stuff washing to the sides. Could you move those monitors down in front of the side trusses, maybe just inside the speakers? Get them closer to the congregation and that might help.

I am assuming that you shut the blinds on the window behind the drummer? That seems like it would glare out the tv screen and prohibit visual satisfaction. We have that issue in our sanctuary. 6 yrs and never fixed it. Everyone complains but we don't ever act on it!
    I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Pretty cool set up.. Even the tvs.. (I hate tvs for lyrics).. If your goal is to get better visibility for lyrics, I'd go with what you said.. Projector.. You can just make them bug, thus easier to read.. As for recommendations, that depends on the budget.. Which, of your like every other church your budget is "as cheap as possible, for the best gear possible"!!!

If general look is what youre looking to improve, I'd ditch the music stands and go digital with 17" screens on the floor, maybe controlled with an iPad (this is what we do).. Also in a space that size, I'm willing to bet your sound guys hate the spill back they get from the wedges.. So an in ear option might be ideal... Not necessarily wireless.. Their are some great, inexpensive wired options,, but, I also know that not everyone likes in ears...

Personally, when I have the chance, I'm telling all the small churches I can to rid themselves of wedges... I'm in a small space, and the piano and vocalists still se wedges, and it sucks, because they need them turned way up.. And thus I get more volume out front from the wedges, then the mains, which sucks.. I can't convince my group to all go in ear though, even though it means they will hear themselves a lot better..

Wedges are great in large spaces, where the mains are/ can be loud.. As the wedges don't over power... People in small churches just assume in ears are expensive.. But they don't have to be.. I use wireless now, but up until today (I jst bought wireless) we've used a headphone amplifier, and those who used in ears, had a 20' 1/4" cable with ear buds... Works great.. I just hate wires.. But that's another rant..

Wedge rant over....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisburke; 03-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
    What is the purpose of the cans mounted on the truss behind the platform? They seem more like a distraction than anything else, looking at the pictures.
    Well, that is a good question. I didn't help plan the stage setup at all, but was brought it later in the process because I have been using ProPresenter for a couple of years. Now, most of my PP experience is only on a single screen in a Celebrate Recovery setting, but I did have more expertise than anybody else.

We had two arches in the beginning, and they were to be set up kind of at angles stage left and right with the lights mounted on them. Didn't work because the arches were too small and also blocked the tv's. They took the arches apart and pieced together one bigger arch and placed behind. It is more visually attractive there.

Looks like the side monitor is getting washed out by the lighting. The upper one a little bit, too. If your primary goal is to make the lyrics readable, your lighting may be overkill.
    We are going to have increasing problems with ambient light as the days get longer. In the main part of the room the ceiling is 80 feet high with lots of windows. I wish the former head of this program had not ordered those can lights. They are generic and don't obey the proper commands from the DMX so they are practically worthless. You can get some usable settings with much experimenting.

I like the setup. To bad there doesn't seem to be a way to get overhead lighting in center, and do away with the stuff washing to the sides. Could you move those monitors down in front of the side trusses, maybe just inside the speakers? Get them closer to the congregation and that might help.
    The one monitor is on wheels and we used to put it farther out front. The other one is part of the "room" and bolted to the wall. It has to stay there.

I have thought about a very lighting truss on tripods that pushes up nearly to the ceiling.

Thanks,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by chipshot0701 View Post
    I am assuming that you shut the blinds on the window behind the drummer? That seems like it would glare out the tv screen and prohibit visual satisfaction. We have that issue in our sanctuary. 6 yrs and never fixed it. Everyone complains but we don't ever act on it!
    We have signs that cover the windows. What you are seeing is the sun shining through the sign. Out farther in the room there are very high windows that don't have blinds. Church has priced them and I think it would run about $6000, not in the budget right now for that.

Thanks,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisburke View Post
    Pretty cool set up.. Even the tvs.. (I hate tvs for lyrics).. If your goal is to get better visibility for lyrics, I'd go with what you said.. Projector.. You can just make them bug, thus easier to read.. As for recommendations, that depends on the budget.. Which, of your like every other church your budget is "as cheap as possible, for the best gear possible"!!!
    Well, the tv's were not my idea. I like a big screen.

The new ministry head asked me to think up some things to make our visual presentation better and there is some budget for that. He asked me about running enviromental projection and other things.

We have used a projector on a 13 foot tripod to augment the lighting and washed the stage with starfields, etc.. That is kind of cool, but we don't do it every week.

Right now I am thinking about trying to do a back projection inside the trusses just with a sheet or something cheap to see what it looks like. Maybe send a duplicate feed of what is going to the monitors.

Thanks,

Kirk