Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honeymoon period for new worship leaders?

One important thing to find out is how far they are willing to push in order to go more contemporary, if there is a group there like you say. If they are in love with the idea but will not be vocal about it and won't strongly support such a move through committees, attendance at functions that support the move then it that is a receipt for difficulty. If they truly want that, then THEY can "fight the battles" for you. In one of my older churches, I'd hear people say this, that, and the other about what should be happening (it wasn't always about worship). I'd tell them, "YOU need to be the one picking up the flag and running with that". It doesn't always need to be the pastor or worship leader (or any other "paid employee" to initiate and be the catalyst for difficult changes. They can be removed or minimized. Normal church members don't get fired for supporting positive change that brings about results. In difficult circumstances, they may split the church but I'd say if things get out of hand to that point, the leadership probably mishandled a thing or two. That sort of dysfunction isn't what I'm suggesting. So see if you have people on your side who are willing to do more than support you behind closed doors and between you and them. They have to support and affirm that publicly to others. It helps if they can communicate effectively the needs and see through to the heart of the issue when someone is simply being opposed to change or coming from a poor personal motivation.

Not a receipt for difficulty (it CAN be tax-deductible) but RECIPE.

I would agree with most of what had been said above. I was a part of the worship leadership at a very large church that was doing many things well, but there were certain "sacred cows" that they would never let go of.

It's similar to a marriage- if you would not be okay with the other party remaining "as-is" for your life together, you are being unfair to them and not making a wise choice. You will end up frustrated, because we can't make people change.

But on the other hand, perhaps God may be using the change to prod some to give up their 'sacred cows' - things and attitudes that they are putting above their relationship with God.

Of course the instigator of such change needs to be doing this with the right motive, not just self-interest....

Yummm!!! Sacred cows make GOOD hamburgers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12