Thread: Excellence, Relevance and Spirituality

Default Excellence, Relevance and Spirituality

Can true artistic excellence, authentic cultural relevance and pure spirituality exist at the same time, in the same place in our churches? What do you think?

Here are some of my thoughts: My Three-Cornered Hat

This was great. I shared it around. Thanks for sharing it. You should blog it so people can discuss on your site!

Great stuff

Working in a Church environment as an artist, I have seen over the years an attitude of mediocrity that I have done my best to break, the attitude that “God sees our heart, and that’s all that matters.”
    I get annoyed when people use that phrase to justify laziness or indifference.

Like they say, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." God sees our heart- and if we are more passionate about our [grilling skills/ cake baking skills /whatever] than what we give Him when we lead, the only ones fooled are ourselves. God knows our heart- it's exactly where our treasure is. (Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.) If we spend $200 at a baseball game but 'don't have the money' to pay for some lessons, go to a seminar, buy a book or DVD series, that should tell us where our heart is...

...more often it is a result of routine.
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard "Because this is the way we've always done it"....

I know that there is so much more that can be artistically done with today’s popular styles...
    This is one thing that gets to me- as I brought up in my own thread before. There have been some great songs that have come out, but the issue is they get played and played and played and played and played so much that people never want to hear them again... and that's too bad.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing....

This is one thing that gets to me- as I brought up in my own thread before. There have been some great songs that have come out, but the issue is they get played and played and played and played and played so much that people never want to hear them again... and that's too bad.
    While other great songs never see the light of day. Its not like there is a lack of them, it's that its risky to incorporate them, or it's work to find (or write) them. Worship leaders, I'm talking to you!

Default Three corners

I really like Lowell's idea of balance. Too often we end up way down the road of idealism, and end up damaging our ministries. There is a natural balance expressed in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There is a God inspired balance in loving the Lord, and others as yourself. There can be a wonderful sweet balance between artistic expression, passion for the Lord, and connecting with His people.

King David, while a great king, obviously did not meet the ideal suggested here, and fell far short in many other aspects as well. His artistry in particular, got mixed reviews. For example, his dancing seemed to draw the disdain of the "crowd", but at the same time was pleasing to God. We have to keep reminding ourselves that the measuring stick here is not necessarily what we see (or hear).

Our objective here is not to please us, or those who would seem to be inspired by what we do. We seek to please our Creator. God is motivated and moves in his own way. His Son has suggested that we should love Him with our entire being, and love others in that same fashion. Music is a SMALL part of that universe, and we cannot become so ingrained in what we do that we forget our place.

There is so much more to this. I do not in any way suggest we should do anything other than our best, and seek to fully honor Him in what we do. I am suggesting that as Lowell as written, there has to be a balance, and that balance should be His balance, not ours. Staying humble, loving God, and reaching out to others is a beautiful thing.

Blessings...
    Dave

Thanks for all your positive responses! They mean a lot to me. I'm glad to feel like I have some company as I walk down this very interesting road known as 'music ministry'.