Power of the Spirit
1) Central Passage(s):
- John 6:44; 16:8; 16:13
- Romans 8:29
- Zechariah 4:6
- 2 Chronicles 20:14
- Luke 3:21-22
- Luke 4:1-2; 3-13; 14; 16-19
- John 2:1-11
- John 14:12; 16:7
- Ephesians 1:20
- Ephesians 5:18
2) My Daily Praise:
Sing a song of praise to God right now!
3) My Daily Surrender:
- Completely surrender every room and closet of our heart's home.
- Invite God to come and fill us up with only HIM.
- Continually claim his filling and continually surrender afresh to His voice and direction.
1. Central Passage
- I so appreciate Dwayne sharing the revelations from Scripture that God showed him with us. It is amazing to see that it was the Holy Spirit who empowered the ministry of Jesus, and then to think that we try to do it without His power? How foolish! But, it's so easy to think you have the words, power, strength to do it on your own.That same power that was in Jesus is now in us! We are "strengthened with power through His Spirit"! That's truly amazing! I never want to put my "flesh on parade". What a horrible thought. But, I fear I have done so many times. Not deliberately, but by not allowing the Spirit to lead and empower our services. What a sobering thought.
2. My Daily Surrender
- Lord, unfill me of me, and fill me with Your Holy Spirit when I get up to lead worship each Sunday. It's so easy to rest on my own gifts and abilities and just go according to my plan. I see that now. Lord, You need to be Lord of every area of my life. Fill me with only You, Lord. I do claim the power of Your Spirit, who lives in me. Help me not to forget that, and step out on my own power.
3. My Daily Praise
- Love to sing His praises!!
I must admit this session was timely. This week has had a bunch of great moments and challenging moments. I’m thankful for the reminder to daily seek the Spirit to refill us. It’s those days of “pulling my hair out” that I desperately need the Holy Spirit to teach me patience with my small children.
Lord, THANK YOU for inhabiting the praises of your people. I’m always amazed how powerful your Spirit is when your people sing to you with yielded hearts!
Lord, I desperately need a refilling of your Spirit every day. Sometimes it seems like I need help emptying my spirit because of so many distractions around me. Finding that place of solace with small children around is VERY tough. Please help me be the mother to my sons the way you intend for me. Help strengthen my marriage so my husband and I may honor you the way you deserve. Having two small children at home makes it so difficult to set time aside to “be filled with your Spirit.” Is a “moving fill-up” possible? If there is anything unclean in me, I give you full reign to reveal them to me so that my ways will be pure before you. Please help me start each day with a fresh filling of your Spirit.
Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
My post from yesterday about the Holy Spirit would have fit today's study well.
The biggest thing that is lacking in our churches, and in our lives as individuals, is the Holy Spirit working freely. Many Christians and churches who go after the filling of the Holy Spirit as a means for their own gratification are tuning in to some other spirit. The Spirit never comes on someone for their own purposes, but only so the filled person can be used as an instrument for accomplishing God's work.
I loved how Dwayne showed us that Jesus was filled with the Spirit before, during, and after his temptation in the desert. It is interesting that the real, Satan-led temptations did not come until Jesus had received the Holy Spirit. And even more profound to grasp that Jesus, God incarnate, performed no miracles until he was Spirit-filled. That being the case, how foolish of us to think we can do God's work apart from the Spirit indwelling us.
I also thought it interesting to understand that, while the Holy Spirit lives within all believers, we are filled with the Spirit only for a specific purpose at specified times. But those times should come daily, and will, as we empty ourselves of ourselves, and make room in our hearts for the Spirit to come in.
My Daily Praise
I didn't sing a praise song early this morning when I did my lesson, because my wife was asleep. And as the day progressed, it became a very difficult day at work, with the prospect of having to work very late to get my job done. But three other co-workers , when they had finished their work, came to help me get done. It was when the help arrived that I was prompted by the Spirit to sing a song of praise. I know I should have praised him in the storm, but it didn't even cross my mind to praise until I could see light at the end of the tunnel.
My Daily Surrender
Jesus, I confess that There is still too much of me in me, and that there are still rooms that are filled with junk that needs to be discarded. I want there to be room in my heart for the Holy Spirit to come in and do through me what can only be done by a Spirit-filled person. So, Lord, convict me where I need to be convicted, and forgive me for quenching the Spirit by my self-centeredness.
Another "ah ha!" moment for me. I do tend to overlook the Holy Spirit when I'm trying to serve Him. I try to do things of my own accord. Now, looking back, especially with music, I've realized I've had the willingness, the prayer...I've been listening for His voice but completely neglected asking to be filled with the Spirit. Didn't know better, really. But everything my Pastor and his wife (her name is Lila and she, aside from my mother-in-law, I consider my spiritual mentor) have said over the years is starting to ring clear to me. Being led by the Spirit. Being open to Him. Allowing Him to lead you. I heard somewhere that the Holy Spirit is a person-says in the Bible...?
Anyway, I'm thankful for this lesson!!
Lord, send the Holy Spirit to me and fill me up everyday. Help me to surrender EVERYTHING to you and allow the Spirit to lead me as you want. I am your servant, and I am here to serve.
I was playing the piano earlier and going over some of my songs. I was kind of rushing, because I wanted to get through a few before we left. But I came to one and took my time and remembered to have HIM in my mind as I sang. Since this was before the lesson, I didn't think to ask the Spirit to come into me, but from now on I'll pray for the Spirit whenever I do ANY music. Or anyTHING! I'm so excited!
All that hath life and breath, praise ye the Lord!
In His Name,