Thread: CCLI Top 2000 List

Default CCLI Top 2000 List

Hello!

As a relative newbie to this board, and having run my own circles for the last few years, I'd thought I'd share one of my favorite tools for worship song selection.

It's the CCLI Top 2000 list.

Every six months, CCLI (Welcome To CCLI) surveys its licensee holders as to which songs did they use. Afterwards, they tally up the results (and pay stipends to the songs' owners). But there's more. They compile the top results and provide them for sale to the public.

They have done lists for Top 25 (free), Top 100, Top 500, and Top 2000 songs.

The key is to not purchase a single list, but to do so for an extended period of time. That is, purchase the Top 2000 list each time a new one is debuted. (They have two Top 2000 lists, the comparison and the general one).

I would say, start with the comparison list first (it's more expensive), but as you get the hang of things, you can then downgrade to the general list.

Because what you're looking for is NOT necessarily to learn all 2000 songs for your congregation. The songs that make the list encompass every style and genre and denomination under the CCLI monicker, from urban gospel to high-energy youth to Gaither-style to hymns.

Instead you're looking to find those songs that jumped the fastest from the previous period (excluding seasonal-specific songs--Christmas+Easter+July4--which jump back and forth between the two time-frames). These songs that rise fast are bullets, and it's the same system that radio stations use to figure out which songs that had gained the most congregations, using that to predict how well a song will go over in their congregation.

Let it be known: just because a song is popular, that is no indication as to whether the song is right for your congregation, whether thru lyrical integrity or musical style. But it is an indicator as to how well received the song is. If you find the song works within your musical parameters, and you find the theology of the song appropriate for the needs of your congregation, a higher-bulletted song gives you the assurance (or not) as to how well received it may be in your circles.

The costs of these lists are not cheap. $75 for the comparative 2000 list, $50 for the basic 2000 list. And they will always be some six months behind the times. But for my money, no other service has awakened me to more exceptional songs from pockets of artists that I never would have considered other hand. And it has saved me countless money and time in the process, helping me weed out the hype from major music companies as to which songs have a greater traction.

One last thing. If you are a SongSelect subscriber, and your pastor is looking for particular songs for an upcoming retreat or series, using a database one can juxtapose the themes/specific-lyrics and the Top 2000 list, and discover new, great songs all encompassing that theme.

Used rightly, it has the power to really expand your repertoire and inject real lyrical integrity within your services.

Nick
    http://www.nickalexander.com/home

Default nice

That's a pretty cool idea; thanks!

If you come upon some undiscovered jewels, feel free to share them here on the WC

Default Regarding "Undiscovered Jewels..."

Thanks, ShanMan!

Regarding "undiscovered jewels"... there's 2000 songs. 1900 of them could be undiscovered to somebody on this board.

In the old days, people heard a new song from Calvary Chapel/Maranatha! or the St Louis Jesuits or Ray Repp, and being that they were the only game in town, ran with it.

Today, we have a LOT MORE SONGS. And we have the tools to search them out. Not only we have the tools to read the song's lyrics in advance (to judge its orthodoxy, its Biblical adeherence, etc), and not only we have the tools to listen to the song online (to judge if the tone works with the confines of the instrumentation you have at your disposal), but this list now tells you if the song itself has been proven and accepted at congregations greatly distant than your own.

So we have the freedom to be as ultra-specific about what the song oughta entail, as best befits the need of your congregation or upcoming event or rally.

Case in point: I once asked a prayer group leader if there was a need in the group, and he sensed that the group felt a real strong stirring of the Holy Spirit to listen to God. Listen. That was all I had to go with.

Through that, I used CCLI's SongSelect, and came up with hundreds of entries.

But juxtaposing this list with the CCLI Top 2000, keeping note of only those songs which are bulletted, I came across two songs: one song I already knew (and anticipated--MercyMe's Word of God Speak), but the other blindsided me. I never heard Keith & Kristyn Getty's "Speak O Lord" before, and I normally would have bypassed it because its tone was very much like a hymn, but its continual rise over time persuaded me to give it a relisten. Glad I did. I introduced this song to the group, where it immediately became embraced.

My question is, as a newbie, have people thrown out requests for themes of songs, or Scripture verses, that they want to push to their congregations? I can perhaps use my database skills to provide "undiscovered jewels."

My question is, as a newbie, have people thrown out requests for themes of songs, or Scripture verses, that they want to push to their congregations?
    For sure.

I can perhaps use my database skills to provide "undiscovered jewels."
    That would be fantastic, thanks! That would be a unique contribution.

Shannon

My question is, as a newbie, have people thrown out requests for themes of songs, or Scripture verses, that they want to push to their congregations?
    I come from a liturgical background. For those unfamiliar with liturgical backgrounds, it's like having a "40 Days of Life", except it lasts three full years. And then back again. Each week, (and in my tradition, each day) there's a new series of verses. Sometimes there's a feast day.

For non-liturgical traditions, or for small groups, your pastor should tell you what he plans to preach upon, so that you can find those songs that can complement his message.

Even if he doesn't tell you in advance, you still have your own faith walk. This is where the sense of the prophetic comes in... allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you as to the needs of the parishioners, and then be extra-perceptive. Some lost their jobs. Some are grieving. Some are not. Some families are torn apart thru divorce or children who no longer believe. Some are seeking encouragement to be more bold for God. Some are seeking direction. Some are exceedingly lonely.

Whatever the needs are in your church, be sure that your song choices reflect the tone of the musical gifts that your band is able to capture, and that at least one new song you would emphasize over a period of simultaneous weeks, to let it sink in.

As for my database skills, how about this. Is there a way a moderator can make a single sticky for theme suggestions, where we can chime in with threads over what songs are best for particular verses, or themes?