Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secular music in worship

Default Secular music in worship

I've heard christian radio play Daughtry "Going Home", and others using "I don't wanna be anything other than what I'm trying to be", don't remember that one's name, someone used Dave Matthews "Where Are You Going", etc... What secular songs, if any, are you using in service?

Default Secular music

We use secular music occasionally. In 2 weeks we are using a stripped down piano version of "What I've Done" by Linkin Park. It will fit perfectly with sermon and theme. I love this song, and can't wait to sing it.

Tonight we will actually be doing a (Christ mix) of Umbrella. It sounds great. The Lyrics are powerful and really grab your attention. It is a good song to grab the attention of our young people. We will just be doing it with an acoustic guitar followed with a rap from our drummer (do your thing Dave!)
    Here is a link from where we go it, check it out
    http://www.godtube.com/view_video.ph...8aeec136963a9a

We just did "There Goes My Hero" by Foo Fighters last Sunday.
    Stephen Canfield
    Associate Pastor
    www.graceannarbor.com

If it doesn't glorify .... nope never use secular songs here!

SDG
    Surrendered,
    Cosima
    ....so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. Romans 12:5 NIV
    WorshipOne.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysierra View Post
    Tonight we will actually be doing a (Christ mix) of Umbrella. It sounds great. The Lyrics are powerful and really grab your attention. It is a good song to grab the attention of our young people. We will just be doing it with an acoustic guitar followed with a rap from our drummer (do your thing Dave!)
    Here is a link from where we go it, check it out
    http://www.godtube.com/view_video.ph...8aeec136963a9a
    that's pretty cool, though i don't care for the way some of it is worded. ex. Jesus didn't die forever, He came back three days later, as the song states, and will return again, so its grammatically incorrect when Coffey sings "when the son died, he done died forever. If "He done" was worded "he didn't", or if for the sake of flow, simply "didn't", within the rhythm of the melody... anyway its a pretty cool song.

we do not use secular songs in our worship services...

Let's see (although, I wouldn't consider some of these "secular")...

Beautiful Day - U2
    Best Of You
    My Hero - Foo Fighters
    Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
    Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse
    Home - Daughtry
    How To Save A Life - The Fray
    I'm Free - The Who
    Meant To Live - Switchfoot
    You Are Loved - Josh Groban

Off the top of my head...

Nate

Red face

I wrote on Friday saying that we were going to do the Umbrella remix for our service. We'll we didn't do it. A good friend made me realize something. That we are leading young belivers (whether young in age or yound in God) specifically in our youth and songs like Umbrella bring back memories of there sinful life, and we don't want to provide that atmosphere in our services. The words of the song were changed positevely but the beat remained the same and the entire structure is the same as the original song. Honestly I would rather play it safe than sorry.

This is an issue that is arguable with good points on each side but as for my church, it was something that I couldn't bring to God's altar. I will be honest I really wanted to do it but I had to put myself aside for the better of the people and for there growth. You will be surprised how something so innocent can be something dangerous. Like I said the point is arguable on both sides, and it just depends on your church's culture and were your church's at in its maturity in God.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysierra View Post
    we are leading young belivers (whether young in age or yound in God) specifically in our youth and songs like Umbrella bring back memories of there sinful life
    Do you know that to be the truth, or are you simply assuming? It's good to play it safe, but don't continue assuming this unless you have proof that it's true.

I've heard this argument against using "secular" music for worship several times, but I've yet to actually meet anyone (who had roots in "secular" music before becoming a Christian) who was willing to tell me that hearing a "secular" song in a church was actually a stumbling block for them...in fact, I've found a mountain of proof (from my conversations with people who have roots in "secular" music before becoming a Christian) that the opposite is true.

Like you said, there are good arguments either way. But, I also have good Christian friends who have leaned on the side of caution because they assumed something that wasn't true and missed out on an opportunity for something great because of it...

Nate

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast