Thread: Great Guitar Compressor

Default Great Guitar Compressor

Folks,

Got a little bit of $$ and looking to update my pedalboard a little. I own a Route 66 comp/overdrive pedal, but recently the compressor's been giving me some real hum problems (sounds like something electrical) and I'm thinking of replacing it. I'm just wondering what a good guitar compressor might be to go with? I've heard some good stuff about the MXR DynaComp as well as Keeley, but would love to hear your guys' thoughts on those or any other great compressors that can give you a nice warm, creamy tone and something with a little punch behind it.

So now to you... got any suggestions?

Keep it simple. A good MXR unit works fine, and Eric Johnson uses one, so you know it just works.

I agree with HFW...simple is better. The Keeley is a great compressor, but the Carl Martin is just as good. MXR makes a good compressor, Boss makes a good compressor, Behringer makes a good compressor (cheap too). I use an Arion SCO 1, which is a plastic Japanese pedal that isn't even made any more, but is one of the best compressors I've ever heard. When I have to replace it, I'll likely spend far more than I did when I bought it, and probably won't like the compression as much.

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

IMO, if you're determined to use compression, get the best one that you possibly can. Compressor's can be a great addition to your board, but if you get a cheap one, they can destroy your sound. The best one I've ever had is the Carl Martin Comp/Limiter. Mine is always on and it adds to my overall tone instead of rob it of dynamics; not cheap, but worth every penny.

I no longer use a compressor, but I did use the Keeley 4 knob for a while. To me, the best compressor is the one you don't really notice is being used. That's probably why the Keeley ones made such a name for themselves. VERY transparent, just does what it's supposed to do with out coloring your sound. I think compressors are misused a lot, like treble boosters and chorus pedals. That's a dif dif topic though.

I'd have no qualms recomending the Keeley comps. just my $.02

JHS Pulp N Peel is the one to get, for a stand alone stomp box compressor. I'm using a Digitech RP1000 direct, and find I don't need the compressor that much.