Thread: Really Enjoying Joyo Pedals - Good Alternative for Going Direct with Electric Guitars

pugg09 is offline TheWorshipCommunity.Com Newbie

Default Really Enjoying Joyo Pedals - Good Alternative for Going Direct with Electric Guitars

Hey Folks - Scott the newbie here

So, we I picked up a few of these Joyo pedals for our Youth team. The Pedal Tuner, the Deluxe Crunch, the American Sound and their Digital Delay. What I was discovering when bringing new kids into the worship team to play electric was that, usually their guitars were ok - but, their amps and effects were never strong enough to play live with. Totally not their fault - their kids, and usually only play in their basement or bedroom - so why would they (or their parents) be spending $$$ on gear they may never use.

I found out about these Joyo's from thegearpage.net - and at $40 a pedal I thought, what's the harm in picking up a few. We already provide a drum kit, keyboard and di's for the acoustic, bass players. So, if it worked out, we could supply a nice basic electric guitar system that new players could just click into and go direct to the board with. And since we only really needed 4 pedals - it was not a huge investment.

Well, have to say. They sound awesome! The clean tone you can get out of the American Sound is wonderful. Nice fat tube'ish tone that takes OD pedals very well. The Deluxe Crunch has a two gain stage (OD and Dist), so it was very tweakable and not hard to find a sweet spot. It does the volume rollback very nice with the gain rolling off to a pretty good clean with just a bit of dirt. The delay is just an 'always on' delay, set very low but fills in the empty spots nicely. And the tuner cuts off the signal to the system when the kids are tuning - which works well for 'inbetween song' tuning checks. It has a softer click too, so there's no 'pop' when you engage it.

The order was Guitar > Tuner > Deluxe Crunch > American Sound > Delay > DI to mixer and it worked surprisingly well. The nice thing is, with it being so small and portable, we're also using it in Children's worship as well as Youth (fits snugly in a box). We picked up a 1 Spot power supply and a daisy chain for it, so if the kids want to add more pedals, there should be enough amperage (unless they click in 2 Boss Giga Delays ).

Now, we've only had these for a couple of months, but they seem to be holding up well. Can't really find any issue with them. I've since myself bought their Vintage Overderive (TS9 clone) and their Ultimate Overdrive (OCD clone), and the tones are right up there with their more expensive counterparts. Definitely a good alternative for those of us on a budget.

Yep - lots of good experiences with the amp sim pedals. American Sound & AC-Tone are both excellent. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

Thanks for the lead. Am checking them out on this end as well. Nice to see you're able to pick up a few basics to use for those that cannot. Not everyone can go and get all the toys/bells/whistles they want for Sunday morning. One guitar player at our church as, however, invested over $4,000.00 into his peddle gear. It sure is nice but not everyone can do that. Nice to see the church was able to provide that for the lay musicians at your home. :-)
    Mark
    Mark A. Levigne
    Medina, Ohio

For about the same price you could provide something like a Fender Mustang Floor which would provide everything you mention including the DI, plus the ability to model different amps as well as various other effects like chorus and flanger and a volume/wah pedal. Not to mention the simplicity of all of that in a single pedalboard in which you can tailor the sound and effects you need on any given song and save it as a preset.
    The Posse Band live performance tracks can be heard by CLICKING HERE

I have and use the Fender Mustang Floor and like it much more than the POD HD effects pedal I had, but I will say if different guitarist are going to be playing I would think that regular stomp boxes would be simpler to adjust.

Yeah- I have the Digitech RP500 (which is comparable to the Mustang floor) and I really like it but I learned the hard way once or twice that it's pretty easy to change a setting on something and not even realize it until it's too late. I've spent 20 minutes redoing a preset before because I over-wrote what I had and had to redo all of it.

Besides you leave something like that with teens, they'll want to spend a bunch of time trying the 42 different amp models and 37 different delays, etc.

The stomp boxes with 'real' knobs and pedal names look cooler, too...
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

I started out with a simple RP50 and went to a Zoom GFX5. I loved my multi pedals but now that I have went to singles and a pedal board I realize how much better my tone is and how much easier it is to get that tone. For students who are just getting into playing in a live situation I would start them with a really simple setup. Tuner-Overdrive-Delay. I feel that if you gave them a complex multi pedal then they would want to use some crazy envelope filter with a wah and 2 seconds of delay on it and that just wouldn't fit in with the song. The joyo pedals are great for exactly this situation but there are a few others out there around that price range that kick butt. Go check out cheaperpedals.com and see what they've got for ya.