Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Prayer Meetings?

Hello!

Any worship leaders carve out some time during the week to have a private family prayer meeting/singalong for their own children?

I'm in the process of doing this for my own kids, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one, and if there are any roadblocks to avoid.

I do know of inspiring Christian writers who were raised in a world (pre-TV) who gathered around the family piano and sang from their hymnals. I'm wondering if there's a way to resurrect that practice.
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Hi Nick,

We really need to get back to that. I'm guilty of not planning one- but we do a spontaneous one once in awhile and it's a blast.

I am thinking of my childhood where many households still had a piano and a hymnal and some one would occasionally play it. Everyone's grandma seemed to have one.

We sing along to Pandora or YouTube (Tube is nice because of the lyric videos- the younger kids can keep up better). The downside of using 'technology' to have these sessions is the risk of some other app providing a convenient distraction. Grabbing an acoustic guitar or piano and song sheets can be a lot more personal/interactive than singing along to a video.

Hope you can get one going.
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

• NickAlexander
      NickAlexander commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Just purchased some hymnals (remember those?) including a semi-current one with some semi-current P&W songs. It will take me a month or two to get a resource crafted to follow along the hymnals' numbering system, but once it's crafted, I'll fill you in.
Working...
X