In-Ear Monitors - your opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dtpuga View Post

Do the molds harden eventually or do they stay moldable where they'd lose form?
    Once they harden (about 10 minutes) thy stay that way.. No remolding option.. That's why I said you've gotta be quick, because they set quickly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm glad they harden since they would be stored for a couple weeks at a time for most musicians. I'm wondering if they will retain enough elasticity to allow the UMs to slip in and out though. That has to work for our team to use these... for me though, looks like it will be good either way.

Thanks.
      Travis Paulding,
      Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
      www.sscommunitychurch.com
      twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

I'm glad they harden since they would be stored for a couple weeks at a time for most musicians. I'm wondering if they will retain enough elasticity to allow the UMs to slip in and out though. That has to work for our team to use these... for me though, looks like it will be good either way.

Thanks.
        Yes they do.. I use 2 different types, I made some with radians, and some with sugru.. The radians are the best, but because I screwed them up with the placement, I use the sugru ones the most.. But I go between them,and the ear buds slip out no problem..but also sty in place really well. That first pull on them to get them out feels scary, as y feel like you are going to ruin them.. But they are fine. They hold the mold perfectly, and don't break

Comment

Chris what I meant was can the, in our case, UM-2 plastic body slip in and out of the Radian mold that you made, so that a different musician can use the same UM-2 with their own fit the next week?

I've actually bought two sets of the radians on Amazon and just haven't had the time to test it yet. I'm not worried for personal use because I own a pair of UM-3s and if they are a permanent fixture, its ok.
          Travis Paulding,
          twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Did yours arrive yet? If so, how did you make out? I actually ordered another pair of radians so I can make them properly this time (I rushed the first ones, so they weren't spot on)

Comment

It has been sitting on my desk for over a week. Haven't had the time to set it up and try it. I'm still trying to figure a way to make them where I can get the UM buds in and out of the molds. My personal set would be fine in a more semi-permanent result but I'm ultimately testing for team use on buds that have to stay in rotation.
              Travis Paulding,
              twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

It has been sitting on my desk for over a week. Haven't had the time to set it up and try it. I'm still trying to figure a way to make them where I can get the UM buds in and out of the molds. My personal set would be fine in a more semi-permanent result but I'm ultimately testing for team use on buds that have to stay in rotation.
                You should be able to just wiggle them out.. Mine were relatively easy to get out

Comment

I'm a big fan of the LiveWires/ Fidelity (manufactured in the same facility, but LiveWires is a much better company to deal with) in-ears. I have the triples and they sound great. I have had a few minor issues with the cable, but they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. If there are custom-fit westones in your range, I would say they are a well-proven company, and several of their people are involved in worship leading.

Comment

I actually ordered another radians kit, as I kind of rushed my first ones, and they didnt turn out that great.. so as I'm typing this message, i've got the mold material in my ears, and am waiting for it to dry.. i hate the noises it makes!!!

Comment

Chris, I was so fascinated by this idea, I ordered a set decent earbuds and a Radians kit from Amazon. It's well worth trying.

Did you put the buds in before you did the mold? And drill the hole after? In other words, can I ask what your process was?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
                        Chris, I was so fascinated by this idea, I ordered a set decent earbuds and a Radians kit from Amazon. It's well worth trying.

Did you put the buds in before you did the mold? And drill the hole after? In other words, can I ask what your process was?
                        Yes, I put in the ear buds first.. It allows me to make sure they are 100% in the right place.. My first pair I put the mold I first, and the earbuds ended up in the wrong place. Used them on Sunday with my new wireless monitor,. It was perfect... The seal is so sound proof that an old guy in church actually scared me, as he came up behind me and hit my arm.. I had no idea he was there!

Comment

Working...
                        X