When the audience is too loud?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the audience is too loud?

So I'm a worship leader and guitarist at my local church. I'm not exceptionally talented or experienced but so far I've been doing fine.

Recently I've noticed that when I lead worship, especially some of the more well known songs such as "10,000 Reasons" and "This Is Amazing Grace", some of the kids (school-aged) sitting in the front row like to sing exceptionally loud. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but quite often they will sing off key (because they are so loud), and overpower my voice from the monitor speakers, which causes me to stumble sometimes.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to mitigate this in future services. I don't want to tell the kids to sing softer because they are singing from their hearts when they worship. I don't think we can afford to buy in-ear monitors because we are not very rich, but any other suggestions would be gratefully considered. Thanks

Hi JasoLag,

What a wonderful problem to have! Like you, I do think that's a great problem to have, although it has caused you some difficulties.

My first thought did run to in-ears, but they are expensive, especially if you're looking at anything decent and worthwhile (like most musical and AV equipment).

If you can't push the monitors any harder due to risk of stage spill, maybe you could look at getting some more singers to help out with the melody. Is it just you leading worship, or do you have a band and/or other singers you can lean on?

Otherwise, perhaps just let the kids lead those favourite songs! Back off for a bit, have a laugh, enjoy their singing, then join in again once you have found your bearings.

All the best with it - the sound of kids singing is one of the best things on the planet!

Steffie.

Comment

Inexpensive IEMs have really come a long way in recent years. Wireless is obviously quite expensive, but assuming you have the mixes available at the console, it's pretty easy to set up a wired system for ~$100 a station. It's certainly a solution to the volume issues that you're having.
      Eric Frisch
      www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Can you move the monitors closer? Rearrange the stage a bit to give you a bit of a buffer between them and you?

Or, like Steffie says, just go with it. God's not going to count it against you if you are a little off because kids are singing too loud
        If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

This is the best thing I've heard in a long time! I've had that problem ONE TIME in Atlanta, & it was the greatest time I've ever had as a worship leader! Good suggestions, too, guys... I think in-ears is the way to go!

Comment

I wish I had this problem every Sunday.

Nate
            Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Working...
            X