Secular music in worship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for the World to Change

The team I'm currently singing with just did John Mayer's Waiting for the World to Change before the sermon. It was done to demonstrate a world view and how there is a lack of hope and the apathy that ensues. The message was then to demonstrate a contrast with what the scriptures say about hope and how God empowers us to create change.

Comment

Our youth band recently learned "Show Me What I'm Looking For" by Carolina Liar. They'd play it every week if I let them. It's a great song that works well with the Gospel message.

Nate
      Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Well... a few weeks ago we covered both "Who Did You Think I Was" and " Good Love Is On The Way" by the awesome John Mayer. Right now we are planning on doing a Kings of Leon song and maybe a Matt Kearney song sometime soon.

Comment

This past weekend we did KOL's "Use Somebody", this coming weekend we're doing "Wonderful" by Gary Go. We've done everything from Daughtry to The Beatles, from Nickelback to One Republic, from Taylor Swift to Linkin Park, with some of The Fray, Paramore, and Sting thrown in for good measure. We pretty much do it all, with zero complaints.

Comment

A couple we've done...
            Viva la Vida by Coldplay
            Saving Grace by Tom Petty

"All Truth is God's Truth"
            sethd

Comment

Originally posted by phil77 View Post
              This past weekend we did KOL's "Use Somebody", this coming weekend we're doing "Wonderful" by Gary Go. We've done everything from Daughtry to The Beatles, from Nickelback to One Republic, from Taylor Swift to Linkin Park, with some of The Fray, Paramore, and Sting thrown in for good measure. We pretty much do it all, with zero complaints.
              I'd like to hear more specifics!! what nickelback? taylor swift? paramore? sounds like you got a great repertoire!

Comment

Wow!! AMAZING SONG!!! Loved it!! Better than the Original!! Blessings!!

Comment

Gravity

I think it would be cool to do Gravity by Sara Bareilles - Great song about the fight of the flesh and tying in to what Paul says about doing what you don't want to do and not doing what you want to do.

Comment

WE don't use any secular songs in our worship. Not sure how I feel about that. I know that some can be used in a manner that can glorify, but still have a reluctance to use them.

Comment

2 Corinthians 6:14 (NIV)

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

I was a rock 'n' roll B3 player / saxophonist. I lived the R&R life and am thankful that I no longer have the many addictions that came with that life.

I think that the one question that comes to mind when we talk about mixing secular songs into worship is original intent. When a song is written as a praise and worship song or as a hymn or CCM song it is written with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit as the focus of its message. The song writer is praising God with every guitar strum, keyboard riff, bass line and drum beat, etc... That is not the way of secular music... We can make a secular song fit into our worship but the original intent was not for God. Carey Underwood sang "Jesus Take the Wheel" and we could perhaps say that this was a Gospel number but unless we know that the original intent of the song was holy, it is not worthy of use for God.

This is God we are praising and using a secular song simply because it has a cool hook line and words that sort of fit seems like we are giving into the darkness out of laziness. Songs that are sung in bars and taverns all over the place on the night previously and then sung in church as a pseudo hymn are praising ourselves because we like the tune... It does not praise God...

Who Did You Think I was - John Mayer

I got half a smile and zero shame
                      I got a reflection with a different name
                      Got a brand new blues I can't explain
                      Who did you think I was

Every mornin when the day begins
                      I make up my mind but change it back again
                      I'm a shifter of the shape I'm in
                      Who did you think I was

You got my number but I always knew the score
                      Who did you think I was

Am I the one who plays the quiet songs
                      Is He the one who turns the ladies on
                      Will I keep shinin til my light is gone
                      Who did you think I was

Who did you think I was

Here is a line that you won't understand
                      I'm half of the boy but twice the man
                      Carry the weight of the world in the palm of my hand
                      Who did you think I was

So, how does this praise God?

Comment

Originally posted by Don_Z View Post
                        Any song that causes people to stop and consider who God is and what He is about is a song that has the potential to "praise God". I agree that, just reading those lyrics without any context doesn't point me to God. But, I'm assuming that, in the context that KristaMiller86's church used the song, those lyrics did point people to God.

And speaking of context, I have to say, if you stretch 2 Corinthians 6:14 far enough, you could make a case for not using anything made by an unbeliever in church...which would leave us with a whole lot of nothing, including most of our church buildings.

The church building I'm sitting in right now was built by a bunch of guys who don't know God, yet God has used this building time and again as a tool to show Himself to our community. The chairs we use in our auditorium were manufactured by a company that makes no claims of belonging to God, yet every week, people worship Him while sitting in those chairs. The projector and screen in our auditorium were sold to us by a man who does not worship my God, yet we use those tools every Sunday to help communicate the truth of God with people on Sunday mornings. Heck, the internet that allows us to post on this website was invented by Al Gore (ha)...

Call me lazy and dark if you want to (although, I kinda don't appreciate it), but I believe that God is in the business of redemption. DonZ, even your tag says, "Every way of man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts."

Nate
                        Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by Don_Z View Post
                          2 Corinthians 6:14 (NIV)

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

I was a rock 'n' roll B3 player / saxophonist. I lived the R&R life and am thankful that I no longer have the many addictions that came with that life.

I think that the one question that comes to mind when we talk about mixing secular songs into worship is original intent. When a song is written as a praise and worship song or as a hymn or CCM song it is written with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit as the focus of its message. The song writer is praising God with every guitar strum, keyboard riff, bass line and drum beat, etc... That is not the way of secular music... We can make a secular song fit into our worship but the original intent was not for God. Carey Underwood sang "Jesus Take the Wheel" and we could perhaps say that this was a Gospel number but unless we know that the original intent of the song was holy, it is not worthy of use for God.

This is God we are praising and using a secular song simply because it has a cool hook line and words that sort of fit seems like we are giving into the darkness out of laziness. Songs that are sung in bars and taverns all over the place on the night previously and then sung in church as a pseudo hymn are praising ourselves because we like the tune... It does not praise God...

Who Did You Think I was - John Mayer

I got half a smile and zero shame
                          I got a reflection with a different name
                          Got a brand new blues I can't explain
                          Who did you think I was

Every mornin when the day begins
                          I make up my mind but change it back again
                          I'm a shifter of the shape I'm in
                          Who did you think I was

Who did you think I was

Am I the one who plays the quiet songs
                          Is He the one who turns the ladies on
                          Will I keep shinin til my light is gone
                          Who did you think I was

Who did you think I was

Here is a line that you won't understand
                          I'm half of the boy but twice the man
                          Carry the weight of the world in the palm of my hand
                          Who did you think I was

Well first of all this is a fun song to sing and play. Second, I never said that we use it as a worship song. We did the song while everyone was walking in and getting settled into their seats before we started worship. We do not consider this a worship song. Our team does a cover or two about every two weeks and we do it about 5 to 10 minutes before service starts. It helps get people to church on time.
                          We have also done a few Fray songs, which by the way before they were signed they were a worship band, and our peeps at church love them. The Fray write some pretty awesome music and I know for a fact that when their lead singer writes God is all over him and his lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
                            Any song that causes people to stop and consider who God is and what He is about is a song that has the potential to "praise God". I agree that, just reading those lyrics without any context doesn't point me to God. But, I'm assuming that, in the context that KristaMiller86's church used the song, those lyrics did point people to God.

And speaking of context, I have to say, if you stretch 2 Corinthians 6:14 far enough, you could make a case for not using anything made by an unbeliever in church...which would leave us with a whole lot of nothing, including most of our church buildings.

The church building I'm sitting in right now was built by a bunch of guys who don't know God, yet God has used this building time and again as a tool to show Himself to our community. The chairs we use in our auditorium were manufactured by a company that makes no claims of belonging to God, yet every week, people worship Him while sitting in those chairs. The projector and screen in our auditorium were sold to us by a man who does not worship my God, yet we use those tools every Sunday to help communicate the truth of God with people on Sunday mornings. Heck, the internet that allows us to post on this website was invented by Al Gore (ha)...

Call me lazy and dark if you want to (although, I kinda don't appreciate it), but I believe that God is in the business of redemption. DonZ, even your tag says, "Every way of man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts."

Nate
                            Dude, your are awesome.

Comment

Krista,

I happened to pull that John Mayer song out because it was one of many listed near the end.

----------------------------------------------

If you all feel that the song was written with the spirit of God in mind and that it will bring people in your church closer to God then, hey go for it...

---------------------------------------

The building you are sitting in, the chairs you are sitting on are not effecting the hearts and minds of your congregation as they prepare for worship. That was a weak argument for what God's Word was telling us.

The congregation is not suppose to be coming to church because there is cool secular music being played every two weeks. How does one prepare to worship when their mind sits in two spaces? How can you be yoked unevenly in the secular world and also in the house of God? How does one prepare their hearts for worship when they are still in the 'world' and the church musicians have placed them there? What is the purpose of the prelude? What does modern preludes function as? Shouldn't we be thinking about what we are preparing to do? (ie... worshiping God... keeping the Sabbath holy...)

God's Word does not need 'stretching'. It is pretty clear as it stands. The wide path is the one that requires little effort to stay on. That is the one that we often get pulled onto because it is 'easier' or 'cooler'. It is much more difficult to walk the narrow path.

Be Blessed,

Don Z

Comment

DonZ, I think Krista's church is trying to use the secular songs as a part of their church-wide method of ministry.

From the Fusion Church website:

Culture – We believe in being fully integrated into our culture in order that we can offer truth that is relevant. Instead of creating a “Christian subculture,” we choose to express ourselves in a way that allows us to relate to those who surround us while living according to the unchanging truth of Jesus, the greatest lover.
                                I can see how this can be used in a "seeker-sensitive" church setting (let's not get into the merits of this in this thread) where there are many unbelievers in the congregation. Like how Paul launched into his presentation of the Gospel to the Athenians by first making reference to their religiousness that even made room for an unknown god, perhaps Fusion Church is trying to present the Gospel by first identifying the need for God's love that even the world acknowledges (though it may not be conscious of this).

But, if the secular songs are being used to make a presentation of the Gospel itself, then I have serious doubts about the efficacy of that. I think Krista said it was used only for "setting up" the message, rather than serving as the message.

Comment

Working...
                                X