Secular music in worship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secular music in worship

I've heard christian radio play Daughtry "Going Home", and others using "I don't wanna be anything other than what I'm trying to be", don't remember that one's name, someone used Dave Matthews "Where Are You Going", etc... What secular songs, if any, are you using in service?

Secular music

We use secular music occasionally. In 2 weeks we are using a stripped down piano version of "What I've Done" by Linkin Park. It will fit perfectly with sermon and theme. I love this song, and can't wait to sing it.

Comment

Tonight we will actually be doing a (Christ mix) of Umbrella. It sounds great. The Lyrics are powerful and really grab your attention. It is a good song to grab the attention of our young people. We will just be doing it with an acoustic guitar followed with a rap from our drummer (do your thing Dave!)
      Here is a link from where we go it, check it out
      http://www.godtube.com/view_video.ph...8aeec136963a9a

Comment

We just did "There Goes My Hero" by Foo Fighters last Sunday.

Comment

If it doesn't glorify .... nope never use secular songs here!

SDG

Comment

Originally posted by johnnysierra View Post
            Tonight we will actually be doing a (Christ mix) of Umbrella. It sounds great. The Lyrics are powerful and really grab your attention. It is a good song to grab the attention of our young people. We will just be doing it with an acoustic guitar followed with a rap from our drummer (do your thing Dave!)
            Here is a link from where we go it, check it out
            http://www.godtube.com/view_video.ph...8aeec136963a9a
            that's pretty cool, though i don't care for the way some of it is worded. ex. Jesus didn't die forever, He came back three days later, as the song states, and will return again, so its grammatically incorrect when Coffey sings "when the son died, he done died forever. If "He done" was worded "he didn't", or if for the sake of flow, simply "didn't", within the rhythm of the melody... anyway its a pretty cool song.

Comment

we do not use secular songs in our worship services...

Comment

Let's see (although, I wouldn't consider some of these "secular")...

Beautiful Day - U2
                Best Of You
                My Hero - Foo Fighters
                Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
                Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse
                Home - Daughtry
                How To Save A Life - The Fray
                I'm Free - The Who
                Meant To Live - Switchfoot
                You Are Loved - Josh Groban

Off the top of my head...

Nate
                Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

I wrote on Friday saying that we were going to do the Umbrella remix for our service. We'll we didn't do it. A good friend made me realize something. That we are leading young belivers (whether young in age or yound in God) specifically in our youth and songs like Umbrella bring back memories of there sinful life, and we don't want to provide that atmosphere in our services. The words of the song were changed positevely but the beat remained the same and the entire structure is the same as the original song. Honestly I would rather play it safe than sorry.

This is an issue that is arguable with good points on each side but as for my church, it was something that I couldn't bring to God's altar. I will be honest I really wanted to do it but I had to put myself aside for the better of the people and for there growth. You will be surprised how something so innocent can be something dangerous. Like I said the point is arguable on both sides, and it just depends on your church's culture and were your church's at in its maturity in God.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnysierra View Post
                    we are leading young belivers (whether young in age or yound in God) specifically in our youth and songs like Umbrella bring back memories of there sinful life
                    Do you know that to be the truth, or are you simply assuming? It's good to play it safe, but don't continue assuming this unless you have proof that it's true.

I've heard this argument against using "secular" music for worship several times, but I've yet to actually meet anyone (who had roots in "secular" music before becoming a Christian) who was willing to tell me that hearing a "secular" song in a church was actually a stumbling block for them...in fact, I've found a mountain of proof (from my conversations with people who have roots in "secular" music before becoming a Christian) that the opposite is true.

Like you said, there are good arguments either way. But, I also have good Christian friends who have leaned on the side of caution because they assumed something that wasn't true and missed out on an opportunity for something great because of it...

Nate
                    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Originally posted by milepost13 View Post
                      Do you know that to be the truth, or are you simply assuming? It's good to play it safe, but don't continue assuming this unless you have proof that it's true.

Nate
                      I think it is true to a degree, that any given secular song could be tied to a sinful life memory, not even necessarily their own. If the song happened to be "the song" in an abusive relationship, or was the song on the radio their "first time" if you know what mean, etc. that's not a scenario church leaders think often, but dealing with faith-converts, late faith bloomers if you will, its something to keep in mind when choosing secular music. I could easily see "Hanging by a Moment" fitting the latter category.

Comment

I actually do know a family personally who has this struggle. They were saved out of a sex and rock-n-roll lifestyle, probably some satanic worship and there are certain songs and sounds and styles of music that do take them back to their former lifestyle....

So in our services we do tend to be a bit sensitive to that issue, however we are so far from edgy that it has not been a problem lately....

So, I think the fact that this issue was considered and the band and leader in this case felt they should not do the song they were thinking about showed wisdom....if they felt the spirit leading them to nix their original plan, then they would have been in the wrong to continue....

And yes, even as a strong believer, remixes of old songs can cause me to "slip back" into the mentality of the "old life" and the feelings ect I used to have when listening to some songs....now, I have been able to work past this most of the time, but not everyone can...and erring on the side of not causing a stumbling block shows sensitivity ....

Mostly, i think we must seek the leading of the Spirit...if He says go with it, then go....if not...then wait...of course that is the way it is with life isnt it?

Comment

I am with you Nate, I have been doing secular songs for years and haven't had one person say that it caused them to stumble. I have had church members say we shouldn't do it because it will cause people to stumble, but, no one has ever said it caused them to stumble...but people have raved about how much they loved it, or, how they connected with the song in a new way, but no sin relapses. That's my experience.

By the way, before I really committed to following Christ, I listened to some Christian music while doing some bad things. Who is to say what memories are associated with what? That is why I choose songs based on lyrical content first and broad emotional appeal second.

Comment

Believe there is already a post on this here but...

Should “secular” songs ever be used in worship? (See our Imagine book link for a great discussion the false bifurcation between the secular and the sacred, hence our reason for the quotes here.) We use “secular” songs for the following reasons:

1. To create a learner need moment that the Sermon-worship will answer.

We did Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower in a message series entitled The Panic Room (one of our rare movie ripoffs). The song’s lyrics basically say the whole world is coming to an end yet people are unaware of it. During the song, the screen was filled videos of Chernobyl, riots, kidnapping, disasters, etc. At the end of the song, we had a little girl singing lines from “He’s got the whole world, in His hands” over a picture of a nuclear explosion. It made the hearer’s say, “Does God really have things under control, or is that just the Sunday School answer I have?” Then we answered the question in the message.

2. To get people out of their ecclesiological bubble to deal with the questions the world is posing.

Many times the church is answering questions the world isn’t asking. To counter this, we use secular music to broach the questions. We once showed the Smashing Pumpkins Rat in a Cage video and Bob dissected the video’s presuppositions and a biblical response to that worldview. It made a lot of our church people realize that the world was voicing questions in a different language then they often spoke. Very cool service.

We DON’T use secular music:

To make lost people feel comfortable or have a point of identity in the service.

We might do a total of 5 “secular” songs all year that are actually done by the band and not a video backing or somesuch. It has to be a really tight fit for us to go that way.

Comment

bringin' this one back up

Okay so let's hear some updates, I haven't seen a good secular songs list for a while, those of you using them. What are you doing these days????

Comment

Working...
                              X