PDA

View Full Version : Old hymns... made new?

marconkeys
02-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey guys. I'm trying to set the songlist for my team this year and I want to incorporate some older hymns that we could "spice up", a bit like Chris Tomlin's version of Amazing Grace. Anyone got any suggestions on hymns that we could use for this purpose? I'm also looking for songs that have a bit of "meat" to it.

carguy1
02-23-2008, 08:23 AM
The Wonderful Cross (Chris Tomlin)
Come Thou Fount (Crowder)

There is also the WOW Hymns album that has two disks worth of contemporary artists doing familiar hymns. I hope this helps.

Mike Darley
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Crowder has a new version of "O For A Thousand Tongues" on the new Passion CD. I'd invest in the Passion:Hymns CD. We do their version of "Joyful, Joyful", "How Great Thou Art" and "Take My Life".
We also do "Jesus Paid It All" - Kristian Stanfill, "I Stand Amazed" - Tomlin...I think.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to using some of the older hymns and with the older melodies. We do "It Is Well" pretty traditionally. Also, I'd check out the Indelibe Grace website...igracemusic.net...I think, the go to the RUF hymnbook. We do "Whate'er My God Ordains Is Right" and "Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted" both of which I got from their site. They do Stricken in 3/4, but we do it in 4/4, which I like better.

Those are just a couple of thoughts.

russhutto
02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I love the old song Great is Thy Faithfulness, not sure if it's actually a hymn or not, the arrangement I have is from the late 80s or early 90s (hosanna) and it's a pretty good keyboard arrangement.

You'd probably need to re-work it to modernize it for a guitar driven environment.

Mike Darley
02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah, we do Great is Thy Faithfulness with the original melody and chords. Great song. Don't be afraid to play some of the hymns as written. They'll sound somewhat contemporary just by the fact that you're doing them with a full band. Some of the older melodies are great...it would a be a shame to lose them.

garyhodges
02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
A couple of my faves are "Be Thou My Vision" and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", although you have to deal with the word "ebenezer" in the latter. I heard a version once that replaced it with "commemoration", which was okay, but not great. We used to just have an instrumental solo (flute) for the first half of the second verse and avoided it altogether!

El Ben
02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
RE: Great is Thy Faithfulness.

Two words: Lincoln Brewster

marconkeys
02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey wow that's great! Thanks guys, I appreciate your suggestions.

There's another reason for me wanting to play the hymns a little differently. The team we have this year is still a little inexperienced and I think it would be just great if we could come together and work on arranging a song together.

Just a quick question: is "fount" like short for "fountain"? Oh while we're on that note, do you think it's better to use the original old English like "thy" and "thou" or switch to "You". I'm accomodating for an International audience here where English isn't necessarily the first language.

marconkeys
02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
A couple of my faves are "Be Thou My Vision" and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", although you have to deal with the word "ebenezer" in the latter. I heard a version once that replaced it with "commemoration", which was okay, but not great. We used to just have an instrumental solo (flute) for the first half of the second verse and avoided it altogether!

Yeah I understand this. We used to leave out verses with words like "Seraphim" and "cherubim" or other words that were a bit hard to sing/for the congregation to understand. :)

Mike Darley
02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Marc,

Fount is short for fountain. As far as changing Thee's and Thy's I don't do it because sometimes it makes the songs not rhyme.

Jay Tea
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
There's another reason for me wanting to play the hymns a little differently. The team we have this year is still a little inexperienced and I think it would be just great if we could come together and work on arranging a song together.

I think almost any hymn can be translated into the guitar domain. For me, I tend to find it easier with ones that can be slowed down and done more reflectively (Abide With Me, Jesus With Thy Church Abide) and ones in a minor key (O Come, O Come Immanuel; Ah, Holy Jesus, How Have You Offended). If you have people that are a little inexperienced, but have a lot of familiarity with traditional harmonizations, they may have to really wrestle with it if you change the harmonies too much.

fretguy
03-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Todd Agnew's Grace Like Rain CD has several. One is hidden. We do it and it is very powerful - and simple to boot.

It's about 10 minutes into the final track 'Wait For Your Rain', and it is a surprisingly traditional Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us. Substitute distorted guitar for organ.

fmckinnon
03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I'd like to submit yet another vote for "Jesus Paid it All" ... it's an incredible arrangement.

This is the iTunes Link (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=137280394&id=137280362&s=143441).

Mike Darley
03-03-2008, 10:23 AM
We use this version. It's great because the melody is that same as what our older folks grew up with so they love it, and the musical portion is certainly contemporary. Also, great lyrics.

maydavidj
03-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, Jesus Paid it All is a great one. The only bad thing is when you get to "washed it white as snow" and the band all comes in with the distortion and stuff...it can catch some people off guard! We actually had this poor fellow who wasn't paying attention and that part came in from just the acoustic and vocal and he almost jumped out of his seat! :o Anyways though, I also do I Stand Amazed, Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus...and I'll try to think of more... We do a Come Thou Fount with a new chorus in it called Come Thou Fount Come Thou King... It's very good too. I'll see if I can think of some more and post em later. Gotta head off to church!

uh-oh16
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM
you should check out the last song on the Generation Unleashed cd. It's the old song "I love you Lord" but they changed it/undated it a bit. its beautiful..i think you would like it - a new twist on an old great song.

worshiptrench
03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Someone needs to do a burning version of
1. O Sacred Head Now Wounded
2. Amazing Love (and can it be that i should gain an interest in the ....)

those are cheesecake rich in content.

Mike Darley
03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
We do a version of "And Can It Be" that uses the same melody as the Indelible Grace version. It's not bad if you spice it up a bit. I wouldn't mind new version, though. And "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" has amazing lyrics. Its hard to believe that it was written literally almost 1000 years ago. I think that, that's part of the appeal for me. I almost hate to say it, but I like the 4Him version.

El Ben
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I could dig a remix of "The Love of God."

A personal favorite part of mine (from verse 3):

Were the ocean filled with ink,
and were the sky of parchment made.
Were every tree on earth a quill,
Every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above would drain the ocean dry.
And the scroll could not contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

fmckinnon
03-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Stevie,
We're gonna do "And Can It Be" this week ... I found a dude on iTunes who is a cellist, and it's on his instrumental album ... we're gonna use Cello to start it, with this cool piano/acoustic groove ... and do it ... the cut is by an artist named "John Catchings", and is on iTunes here (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=QJ*v0oJgqDc&offerid=78941&type=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_PARM1=http%253A%252F%252Fphobos.apple.com%252FW ebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252FviewAlbum%253 Fi%253D77607006%2526id%253D77607082%2526s%253D1434 41%2526partnerId%253D30).

Mike Darley
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I wish we had a cellist. :(

nimrod
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree with Stanfill's Jesus Paid It All - awesome! Another good one is Crowder's All Creatures of Our God and King.

Mike Darley
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I also like Crowder's "O For a Thousand Tongues". I think we're going to use it pretty soon.

joymark
03-27-2008, 02:01 AM

I love the Mercy Me version of that song.

We recently did our own arrangement of "O How I Love Jesus." Just slowed it down, put it in 4/4 rather than 6/8, and simplified the chords. Easy as pie.

Another one that is very popular in our church is the Jason Breland arrangement of "I Need Thee Every Hour." It came out from Integrity a few years ago.

TroyP
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I didn't read all the thread. Mercy Me does a great version of this.

Also, anything, EVERYthing on Bart Millar's Hymned vol. 1 CD is great. Not necesarrily so modern, but juiced up a bit so everyone seems to like it (all ages).

TroyP
04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Paul Baloche has several. Check out www.leadworship.com
More people need to know about his stuff. Intentionally bridges gaps between modern and older styles, excellent craft, and intentionally pitched for singability. Check out All Hail The Power Of Jesus Name for starters.

Ed Kerr has some neat reharmonizations and new stuff at www.kerrtunes.com

I didn't see anyone mention Jars Of Clay's CD. I love their take on Nothing But The Blood (with The Blind Boys of Alabama).

DanMontes
04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
One of my all time favorite “Old Hymns” is Trust and Obey. Great message.

David Delgado
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
We have been doing several hyms lately.

Come though Fount Come though King (Gateway Worship)
How great though Art (Paul Baloche)
Halleluia What A Savior (Tommy Walker)
The Love of God (Mercy Me)
God Be Merciful To Me ( Jars of Clay)
Before the Throne of God Above (New Music by Vikki Cook Sovereign Grace Music as recorded by Shane and Shane )
In Christ alone - Getty and Townend

bobbygilles
05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Mars Hill does a cool version of "And Can It Be," with a new melody, as well as "I Sing the Mighty Power of God." Also, check out Sandra McCracken's CD "The Builder and the Architect," which features several old hymns with melodies written by Sandra (some of which you might have also heard on Indelible Grace or Caedmon's Call projects, since both have used Sandra's mad skills).

We do several of the one's ya'll have mentioned at Sojourn. In addition, our last CD "Before the Throne" contained a cover of "Before the Throne of God Above" with the contemporary melody of Vikki Cook (of Sovereign Grace) and also Anne Steele's hymn "My Maker and My King" with a rocking new melody by our worship arts pastor, Mike Cosper. We're currently working up new melodies to a bunch of Isaac Watts' hymns, like "Oh God, Our Help in Ages Past," "Alas and Did My Savior Bleed" and "Absent from Flesh."

I love the fact that there is more and more interest among Christians in the great hymns of our faith.

TroyP
05-31-2008, 11:21 PM
We're doing Jadon Lavik's version of Come Thou Fount this next time. Funny, because back in the early days of worship music we used to joke about no one knowing what raising an Ebenezer actually meant...but it seems like the time is right for bringing back all this great theology (the best of the hymns) in a refreshed way. It sure helps the older folks not feel completely disenfranchised with the "new" music.

As a side note, all the kids in our band picked this version over Crowder's, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I love his stuff, too.

El Ben
06-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Gateway did a pretty good remix of Doxology, which is (in my opinion) superior to Crowder's version.

matreames
06-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Gateway worship has done great hyms that has been made into a great modern worship song. the same.

dianeritz
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I use Hymnchartslite.com a LOT for both a traditional/blended worship and contemporary worship. Many of the accompaniments start sounding alike after awhile, but they are a great jumping off point. You do need to subscribe, but if you use enough of them it's a bargain.

Jjones
06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
We just sang Paul Baloche's arrangement of How Great Thou Art. The congregation seemed to pick it up quickly. I'd recommend it.

matreames
07-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Check out some of the CFNI and Gateway Worship albums.

Gateway did a great rendition of the 'New Doxology', as well as 'Come Thou Fount, Come Thou King'

CFNI has done 'Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus', 'Jesus (something about that name)', and 'Take My Life and Let it Be' all were excellent. They were not all modernized as in made Rock and Roll, but they qorked well on arrangements to make solid flow and harmonies. It really invigorated the songs. Especially 'Take My Life and Let it Be.' which was my personal favourite.

carguy1
07-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Ok, forgive my ignorance, but who is CFNI?

matreames
07-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Christ For the Nations Institute...

ChadBrooks
07-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I guess I am in a different boat since I design and lead worship for a seminary community, but I guess I have a question about some of the posts I have been reading.

Why would we want to leave out verses of songs? I know that there are some hard words in there, but I think it is important for a worship leader to learn how to teach a song, and part of that is explaining some of the more "interesting" word choices. To leave an entire verse out because it mentions angelic beings (such as cherubim) seems to be going to far.

Before everyone had the ability to read and/or own a bible, hymns were their primary method of working out theology. Think about what you understand about God's action and character and try thinking back and remembering how much of that you actually learned from singing songs. If you were in church at a young age, I would guess that it is alot.

Older songs may seem to not be tailored to our contemporary experience, but to leave them out because they don't seem to have theological depth is surprising. Since 1989 (the first year the numbers where released), not one of the top 25 worship songs in CCLI payout have had explicit reference to the Trinity, most never name all three member of the Trinity. You see occasional reference to the Father or the Son, but more often than not there are inferred references (capitalized personal pro-nouns).

I love new songs, but I think it is time that we understand the importance that our lyrics have on the growth of the congregation. Older hymns teach us how writers and leader in the past built up a well-fertile soil of theological knowledge in people.

fmckinnon
07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Chad,
This is a great reply, man ... good thoughts, for sure. Checking out your blog as well.

That's an amazing observation about the Top 25 songs ... I am going to have to take a deeper look at that, and see what else our "fluff" has these days. (or has not?)

Smitty
07-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I think Chad is right on it with his comments. It is my experience that Hymns teach scriptural truths. Leaving them, or parts of them out of the mix is both dangerous and short-sighted.

Smitty

Mike Darley
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
We all leave out some of the original verses. Many of our most loved hymns have way more than 4 verses. Show of hands...whose doing all the verses to "Crown Him With Many Crowns" this week?

Crown Him with many crowns, the Lamb upon His throne.
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns all music but its own.
Awake, my soul, and sing of Him who died for thee,
And hail Him as thy matchless King through all eternity.

Crown Him the virgin’s Son, the God incarnate born,
Whose arm those crimson trophies won which now His brow adorn;
Fruit of the mystic rose, as of that rose the stem;
The root whence mercy ever flows, the Babe of Bethlehem.

Crown Him the Son of God, before the worlds began,
And ye who tread where He hath trod, crown Him the Son of Man;
Who every grief hath known that wrings the human breast,
And takes and bears them for His own, that all in Him may rest.

Crown Him the Lord of life, who triumphed over the grave,
And rose victorious in the strife for those He came to save.
His glories now we sing, who died, and rose on high,
Who died eternal life to bring, and lives that death may die.

Crown Him the Lord of peace, whose power a scepter sways
From pole to pole, that wars may cease, and all be prayer and praise.
His reign shall know no end, and round His piercèd feet
Fair flowers of paradise extend their fragrance ever sweet.

Crown Him the Lord of love, behold His hands and side,
Those wounds, yet visible above, in beauty glorified.
No angel in the sky can fully bear that sight,
But downward bends his burning eye at mysteries so bright.

Crown Him the Lord of Heaven, enthroned in worlds above,
Crown Him the King to Whom is given the wondrous name of Love.
Crown Him with many crowns, as thrones before Him fall;
Crown Him, ye kings, with many crowns, for He is King of all.

Crown Him the Lord of lords, who over all doth reign,
Who once on earth, the incarnate Word, for ransomed sinners slain,
Now lives in realms of light, where saints with angels sing
Their songs before Him day and night, their God, Redeemer, King.

Crown Him the Lord of years, the Potentate of time,
Creator of the rolling spheres, ineffably sublime.
All hail, Redeemer, hail! For Thou has died for me;
Thy praise and glory shall not fail throughout eternity.

ChadBrooks
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I can understand wanting to leave out verses for the sake of time. I grew up only singing the 1,2, and last stanza of any hymn. But when I moved and started attending Asbury I learned how some of the left out verses really tie the story in together. Since I go to a Wesleyan school, I am used to reading Charles Wesley hymns, and he could go on and on sometimes.

I think when we have 12 verses to choose from, there really isn't a question. But when there are 4 or 5, I always look at the hymn and try to see the structure of every verse-more often than not they are building towards a pretty serious apex

bobbygilles
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Chad, good points. I think editing is perfectly viable (especially those hymns with 5+ verses) but it should be done carefully.

I've studied the trends of CCLI top songs, too, and agree with you that there are huge theological gaps in the overall body of modern worship songs. In addition to the things you bring up, there are surprisingly few songs (or even lines in songs) about the resurrection and second coming, and not as many mentions of the cross as one would expect.

This is not to denigrate modern worship songs. There are many great ones out there. But to me, this is one of the reasons to suppliment the best work of the professional worship songwriters with carefully chosen hymns and, when a church is blessed with gifted songwriters, the work of these local writers. Between these different sources, you can ensure that your local congregation is getting what they need to hear.

dianeritz
07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with Chad. If you want to use newer "modern" hymns with great theology, check out anything by Keith and Kristyn Getty. Keith also writes with Stuart Townend (In Christ Alone is one of their combined efforts.) Their goal is to include as much of the gospel message in every new hymn that they write. They recognize that many people connect with music at least as much as they connect with the spoken word. Their tunes are very singable, too, and can be used in either contemporary or traditional settings. Anything we can use that helps teach theology in song is a plus in my book.

bobbygilles
07-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah, we do a lot of Getty and Townend hymns at Sojourn. I think people will be singing "In Christ Alone" for a long time to come.

gvictor
07-18-2008, 03:56 AM
I enjoy hymns done in musically relevant versions too. And yeah the Passion CD is great. It also has new choruses thrown in between the ancient hymns. "Take my life", "O worship the King", "Fairest Lord Jesus", "Joyous light" are some of my favorites from it.

Singing all the verses somehow makes the delivery complete, so I don't favor leaving any verse out either. However it depends on whether the congregation knows all the verses or visual aids like books or screens are available...else they will not be engaged in the song and would defeat the worship itself.

Modern worship songs are written with an objective to be easily singable and rememberable apart from other things, so they are mostly shorter than old hymns...I think that leaves little space for descriptive theology in the lyrics.

Maybe we should pray for the ability to convey deep messages in fewer words to overcome the perceived shortcomings in theological completeness ;)